Check engine Evap code - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll look at those connections as well soon. So when I have this all fixed up, when will my jeep know it's fixed and turn the check engine light off?

Can't beat a Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery which should remove the fault codes and reset the PCM. That code shouldn't reappear if your evap system is working correctly and maybe even your tape job is a temp fix.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #18 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery which should remove the fault codes and reset the PCM. That code shouldn't reappear if your evap system is working correctly and maybe even your tape job is a temp fix.
I know of this method but I was wondering if it would do it on its own. Not with my help.

Can't beat a Jeep

post #19 of 29 Old 02-09-2016, 07:19 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it will eventually turn the CEL off. Not sure but I think it's 3 full warm-up / cool-down cycles.

post #20 of 29 Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

It was the piece I fixed, code is gone and thanks for the help!

Can't beat a Jeep
post #21 of 29 Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Yeah, only CA emissions jeeps have the LDP, so only CA emissions jeeps can pop the code. Fed emissions doesn't monitor the evap system at all, you could rip it out and the computer would be none the wiser.
so I could actually just disconnect the purge solenoid, ldp, and that's all I'd have to do and no codes?

Can't beat a Jeep
post #22 of 29 Old 10-09-2016, 08:04 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

No, if you an LDP then it would throw a code.

If you are a federal emissions and don't have an LDP then you could remove it assuming it's a trailer queen that doesn't get driven on public roads.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
No, if you an LDP then it would throw a code. If you are a federal emissions and don't have an LDP then you could remove it assuming it's a trailer queen that doesn't get driven on public roads.
Yeah well that doesn't help because it's a daily driver...

Can't beat a Jeep
post #24 of 29 Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

I was surprised by that particular hose on the carbon cannister on mine. Looks like mopar used regular vacuum hose instead of fuel resistant hose. Reason? The nipple on the cannister is a good bit larger than the actual size of the line. They needed something soft to be able to stretch it over the cannister nipple. Fuel line is a good bit stiffer. Guess they didn't want to spend the dough on another custom hose.

I found a little vacuum adapter in the help section at Advance where I could couple the larger nipple to fuel hose then to the smaller line.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #25 of 29 Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

So, I have still not figured out the problem. When I reset the check engine, it doesn't come on for a few days. It's not the purge solenoid, and I don't see any leaks in the lines. I didn't see any charcoal dust in the old purge solenoid.my locking gas cap is three years old, it couldn't possibly be that? I've inspected it and it seems to be OK.

Can't beat a Jeep
post #26 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 11:52 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 Clunkers Survivor

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football47 View Post
So, I have still not figured out the problem. When I reset the check engine, it doesn't come on for a few days. It's not the purge solenoid, and I don't see any leaks in the lines. I didn't see any charcoal dust in the old purge solenoid.my locking gas cap is three years old, it couldn't possibly be that? I've inspected it and it seems to be OK.
Do a smoke test (aka cigar test). That's the only way you'll be able to visually see where the leak is at. The gas cap is often the problem. You might as well throw 10 bucks at a new cap to see if it fixes it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
it will eventually turn the CEL off. Not sure but I think it's 3 full warm-up / cool-down cycles.
That's exactly right, more specifically 3 open/close loop cycles.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #27 of 29 Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

In the past I've had the check engine light come on before when I got low on gas then turn off a couple days or even the next day. I'm guessing it turned on because of vapor pressure build up in the evap lines and tank and there was probably a small leak....

Can't beat a Jeep
post #28 of 29 Old 01-10-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Well I had the light off for awhile until it got warm out, then it came back on. Where on the rubber lines should I specifically look for a cut in the hose? And I'm so sure that it's not the gas cap but is there anyway to make sure I have tight seal besides buying another new one? It seems fine until the warmth builds pressure in the system...

Can't beat a Jeep
post #29 of 29 Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Football47
1998 ZJ 

There has to be a problem in the gas tank or gas tank neck. I only have check engine problems in the summer when the gas vapors expand. There isn't enough room in the evap lines to have the vapors be a problem.

Can't beat a Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.