Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap ZJ mods thread.

Tags
jeep mods zj
141K views 142 replies 62 participants last post by  Mr. Puddles 
#1 ·
OK, here's an idea I liked a lot from VWVortex, a CHEAP MODS THREAD!!! (original inspiration here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4553036-The-Official-Cheap-Little-Mods-Thread )

Here's how this works:

Copy/paste this sample post and fill it in

=================================================
::::::: Mod Name:
::::::: Why Worth It:
::::::: Cost:
::::::: Where to buy:
::::::: Time required:
::::::: Difficulty:
::::::: DIY:
::::::: Picture(s):

Here's an example :D

::::::: Mod Name: Glow Gauges
::::::: Why Worth It: Looks AWESOME
::::::: Cost: $45
::::::: Where to buy: FleaBay
::::::: Time required:~1 hour
::::::: Difficulty(1-10): 1.5
::::::: DIY: http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/el-glogaugeinstall.htm

Off:

On green:

On Blue:

See less See more
#14 ·
Ahhh, I love that format for organizing mods (and basic repairs even). Would take some serious legwork to set it up like the one on vortex (well, it might not for the newer ones). If nothing else, this can be used as a database of links that direct to other threads and posts.
I'll certainly add my little mods to this, first one I suppose will be the clear corners I ordered.

#15 ·
::::::: Mod Name: rear hatch lights
::::::: Why Worth It: rear lighting when needed
::::::: Cost: $10 so far, with new bulbs $30
::::::: Where to buy: junkyard off oldsmobile aurora
::::::: Time required: 1-2hrs
::::::: DIY: out of 10, 3

rear lights i sunk into my tailgate and they bolt on throught the factory plate holes

#17 ·
98SilverBullet said:
::::::: Mod Name: rear hatch lights
::::::: Why Worth It: rear lighting when needed
::::::: Cost: $10 so far, with new bulbs $30
::::::: Where to buy: junkyard off oldsmobile aurora
::::::: Time required: 1-2hrs
::::::: DIY: out of 10, 3

rear lights i sunk into my tailgate and they bolt on throught the factory plate holes
That looks intresting and cool! More pics on that possiblewrite up?

Sent from my Ally using JeepForum because im useless

#19 ·
I will be doing that rear light thing at some point for the trails, I didn't like the ones on the roof but those look somewhat factory and should be just as effective.

Plasti Dip the front grill is a really nice and cheap mod. I haven't done mine yet so I wont post the stuff yet, but I painted it in grill paint but it sorta peeled the chrome off when I taped the grill of to trim it so I have to do it again but I will be doing Plasti Dip this time.

#20 ·
::::::: Mod Name: Bosch 703 injector swap for 4.0 or 5.2
::::::: Why Worth It: Better fuel spray pattern (4 holes vs 1 hole) resulting in smoother idle and faster start. Some claim better fuel economy.
::::::: Cost: Depends, cheapest to find JY injectors
::::::: Where to buy: JY or online (Bosch P/N 0280155703
::::::: Time required: Less than 15 minutes for a beginner
::::::: Difficulty: Easy
::::::: DIY: Dozens of threads, good writeup by melk, couldn't find it but in the mega injector thread he has good pics (here).

#21 ·
::::::: Mod Name: Stock Airbox modification
::::::: Why Worth It: Elimination of hesitation, less restricted flow. Some claim more power.
::::::: Cost: Free
::::::: Where to buy: Nowhere
::::::: Time required: 15-20 minutes
::::::: Difficulty: Easy
::::::: DIY: Pull airbox and hose and grill snorkel thing. Remove white restrictor inside tube coming from airbox. OPTIONAL: If you don't go in sloshy mud, for less flow restriction remove grille snorkel thing, take out fiberglassy material in front of grille opening if blocking opening, and if desired dremmel out entire front of airbox.
::::::: Picture(s): will upload later

#22 ·
::::::: Mod Name: Paint Laredo cladding
::::::: Why Worth It: Update faded gray cladding
::::::: Cost: $20-25 worth of paint and sandpaper
::::::: Where to buy: Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart
::::::: Time required: 1 day, plus 2 days to dry
::::::: Difficulty: Moderate
::::::: DIY: My Writeup
::::::: Picture(s): In writeup, please be sure to read warnings because amount of masking shown in pictures WILL NOT SUFFICE TO PROTECT BODY PAINT.

#23 ·
::::::: Mod Name: Cheap aftermarket Fog Lights
::::::: Why Worth It: Way cheaper/looks nicer than finding switches/OEM fogs/wiring.
::::::: Cost: $20-30 at Walmart depending on style desired
::::::: Where to buy: Walmart
::::::: Time required: 30mins-1hr
::::::: DIY: Requires a little creativity when it comes to mounting. I mounted rectangle fogs in my bumper cover grille thing, farther in than 96-98 stock fog location. Looks very nice. Wiring explained in manual, comes with toggle switch, most wires should reach. I assume for 96-98 without stock fogs you could mount the same lights where the vent things are for non OEM foglight models. Power wire can go to fuse box, must be at least 20A fuse (check box or manual for fog light power rating. Fog lights will have their own fuse, so make sure to use a fuse in fuse box at a higher amperage rating)
::::::: Picture(s): Will upload later

#24 ·
::::::: Mod Name: PA system and/or CB radio
::::::: Why Worth It: Its fun! Plus highway cop/traffic warnings.
::::::: Cost: $25 Midland CB radio plus $50 Wilson Little Wii antenna, plus $20 PA speaker at least 50W
::::::: Where to buy: Amazon, some radio shacks
::::::: Time required: 1-2 hours
::::::: DIY: Not many places to mount a PA speaker, I found the best spot is inside the front bumper cover on the left side. You can screw it in from the bottom, screws will show but you can paint over them and they aren't that noticable. Wire can come up to behind the headlight and run along the edge of the hood to the cabin through the door. For the CB there are dozens of threads on mounting locations, even one to integrate it where the ashtray is. You can definitely find cheaper antennas, but the Little Wii is the best magnetic kind that doesn't require calibration. You get the best signal by mounting it near the rear center of the vehicle. Cable can be threaded over the doors behind the rain seal all the way to the front. For power, instead of taking power wire all the way to the battery you can just use an aux fuse (cigarette lighter fuse works well) and thread the little wire in there. Just be sure to ground it properly somewhere metal.
::::::: Picture(s): will upload later

#26 ·
::::::: Mod Name: transmission fluid change
::::::: Why Worth It: so your tranny lasts long enough that you don't post up here asking for cheap solutions to your blown tranny
::::::: Cost: $40
::::::: Where to buy: if it has the word 'auto' in it, you can probably get a filter kit and fluid
::::::: Difficulty: apparently difficult otherwise people would do it more often.

#27 ·
::::::: Mod Name: diff fluid change
::::::: Why Worth It: after mud bogging and filling your diffs with chocolate milk, it'll save your diffs, and more useless posts on here
::::::: Cost: $25 for both diffs fluid and silicone to reseal
::::::: Where to buy: anywhere with 'auto' in the title

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.