Cheap Preformance Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cheap Preformance Mods

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
apollokilo

Cheap Preformance Mods

Hey people,

This is my first post here and I'm sure its a repeat, but I couldn't find the thread. I have a '95 ZJ with the 4.0 straight 6 engine. I'm looking to do some performance mods but I'm not sure what to do. It's my daily driver so I can't have it down for anything longer than a weekend. I also have a college students budget so $400 a pop is about all I can spend. I was looking at mufflers and intake systems. Does anyone know if replacing either of these will give me better performance? Thanks for any suggestions.

apollokilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollokilo View Post
Hey people,

This is my first post here and I'm sure its a repeat, but I couldn't find the thread. I have a '95 ZJ with the 4.0 straight 6 engine. I'm looking to do some performance mods but I'm not sure what to do. It's my daily driver so I can't have it down for anything longer than a weekend. I also have a college students budget so $400 a pop is about all I can spend. I was looking at mufflers and intake systems. Does anyone know if replacing either of these will give me better performance? Thanks for any suggestions.
a 99 or later intake manifold will livin it up some. A bored throttle body (63mm) will help it as well.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

.................................................. ...............
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post

YOU WILL NOT see more performance with $400. It takes thousands to see a big difference!

although you could start with a CAI, kolak's exhaust, and a bored TB.

but since that would be over $700 right there, plus the installation of the exhaust: buy a used CAI, and piece together your own exhaust using a high flow cat FM muffler and a turndown after the muffler.

might as well sell it and get a V8. It gets the same mileage.

Not neccessarily true, as stated in an earlier post, the 1999 and newer 4.0 intake manifold is a great bang for the buck mod. There was a link to a thread posted here that had dyno sheets showing solid gains in HP. Considering that you can pick up the manifold for less than $100 at the boneyard, it is much more cost effective to start with that, then add a good free flowing exhaust and header to compliment the intake manifold.

Being that the OP's vehicle is a '95, he can also upgrade the factory ignition system with a high output coil, cap, rotor, and wires, of course he could go all out and get a performance distributor as well. With a healthier ignition setup, adding the '99 and up fuel injectors would be a good idea to, since they have a better spray pattern for improved atomization of the air/fuel mixture, this would allow him to create the most energy possible without having to add more fuel to the combustion chamber.

If the OP is creative enough, he could probably pickup the '99+ manifold, injectors, wires, cap, rotor, plugs and coil for under $400, add in a decent exhaust system (such as Kolak's) and he would be right around $700, assuming he doesn't have to pay for someone to install these items, that would net him noticeable increase in power for under $1k.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

the '99+ intake along with the ignition system and everything should only get you ~10HP. Also said in that thread. I would rather change the cam for all that work.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
texas_jeep_guy
1996 ZJ 

get the intake kit from rustys for 125. then you can cut the exhaust right after the cat and gain alil from that plus it sounds amazing. rustys also has a programmer for 380. im waitin for my intake kit to come in but a friend has one and it helped alot and the no exhaust i got that too and it helped a little but its free and cant hurt.
rustys 2in coil spacers
31in BFG AT
"custom" exhaust
texas_jeep_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.