Cheap but quality shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cheap but quality shocks?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

Cheap but quality shocks?

If anyone can tell me what a good set of after market shocks are for giving a budget boost?

I'm replacing my Skyjacker's

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

ranchos are ok.

with shocks you get what you pay for. the more expensive they are, the better they are. hold out for used bilsteins if you can.
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

I like duesch tech. I did not like procomp, I may be wrong but I think they are the same as rough country. Procomp bushings didn't even last a year.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ
ranchos are ok.

with shocks you get what you pay for. the more expensive they are, the better they are. hold out for used bilsteins if you can.
Are bilsteins great because of on road manners, or are they superior off road as well

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
I like duesch tech. I did not like procomp, I may be wrong but I think they are the same as rough country. Procomp bushings didn't even last a year.

I run doetsch tech 8000 myself, no complaints. I'd probably get them again. Also, I've heard good things about Rancho as a cheaper shock. As stated, you get what you pay for.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are bilsteins great because of on road manners, or are they superior off road as well

Both are accurate. I would just bit the bullet and get some bilsteins or omes. You can find great deals on C list if your looking too..
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have the Bilstein 5100's. They are great. I talked to Kolak about some less expensive shocks and he recommended the Rancho's. I used to run the DT's in my 95 and they were good shocks. Stiff but good.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
HeavyArms
2004 WJ 

Ive always perferd gas shocks over hydraulic shocks.

in my last jeep i ran Zone hydro's and it was a pretty stiff ride. In my new jeep i upgraded to zone's nitro shocks and love them. They were totally worth the extra few bucks.
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I like the DT8000's too. They're a very beefy shock, and good for the price.

Right now I run Black Diamonds, and I hate them. The fronts are too soft and are very noisy.

Unless you NEED new shocks, you don't need them with just a BB, the stockers will work okay. Knowing that, you might be able to save up longer for a good set.

The best shocks I ever ran on my ZJ were the Old Man Emu Nitrochargers, but they're expensive, like 70 - 80 bucks each IIRC.

And so you're clear, you don't get any lift from shocks. To get a 'budget boost" you need to install the spring spacers.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Did the same 3 in bb from fat bobs in my buddies truck as mine has. Now the kit comes with rough country shocks. The rear feels like there is no shocks on it, they suck.

Unread 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
fisher1630
1997 ZJ 

I installed procomps when I did my BB. They ride a little stiff but otherwise no complaints. To me its not worth it to spend a couple hundred bucks on shocks for my jeep. Rather save the money for other things that are bound to go bad.
fisher1630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Did the same 3 in bb from fat bobs in my buddies truck as mine has. Now the kit comes with rough country shocks. The rear feels like there is no shocks on it, they suck.

lemme guess the rear stops bouncing about a mile down the road?
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckZJ

lemme guess the rear stops bouncing about a mile down the road?
No because you hit another bump in that mile

Unread 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

thats true too...mine does that too...i figured they were defective
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
The best shocks I ever ran on my ZJ were the Old Man Emu Nitrochargers, but they're expensive, like 70 - 80 bucks each IIRC.
The best shocks I've seen are the stock UC shocks from my 95. They are German-made Boge Sachs and they went way over 100k miles before the right front started leaking. I think you can still buy them through Chrysler but the cost is ridiculous.

But yea for cheap I ran a set of DT8000s on my 94 for a couple years and they do great on the freeway and offroad. Where I did not like them was around town.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shock absorber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.