Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Changing the U Joint

820 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  LordHobbit 
#1 ·
Hey guys just had a few questions before I begin changing my U joint, now it's the U joint on the front axle shaft on the drivers side. I have never done this before, I just bought the Jeep Saturday totally stock no mods of any kind just rebuilding it now. 1. Am I going to need any special tools to take out the U joint? 2. Am I able to leave the rotor, caliper, etc.. on or am I going to have to tear everything apart in order to take out the U joint? 3. I'm really trying not to break anything is there going to be any kind of resistance putting the new U joint in or should it just slide right in? Thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
Guys replace them with a hammer and some durable, properly-sized sockets. When I do mine, I'm going to use my OEM ball-joint tool. It's the one that looks like a beefy C-clamp. It looks much easier with it.

I take it that you don't have an FSM or Haynes manual? If not, there are online sources for downloading a digital version of the one for your particular year. It'll give you a good idea of what has to come off, and in what sequence. There are also some good video tutorials on youtube, and other places, that make it looks fairly simple. The biggest pain can be removing the three bolts that hold the axle-flange to the steering-knuckle. If you live in an area where cars rust a lot, it can be a bear. If not, it's not too bad. I've had my axles out to replace something. I don't remember what? Good luck.

#4 ·
I use a vice and sockets when i replace u-joints.
One socket small enough to press on the the bearingcap and pass through the axle and then another socket big enough for the bearingcap to fit in to when pressing it out.
It is doable alone but it helps if there are another one holding the axle while you are operating the vice.

If it gets to tight after the new joint is installed just give the axle a few whacks with a hammer and it will loosen up.

#7 ·
You're going to have to remove the whole hub assembly, it's only three bolts. If I remember correctly, it's a 13mm. Just make sure to use the right socket. It's one of those multi-point ones, not a standard socket. Removing the hub can be tricky without a puller. Once I get all three bolts loose (almost out but not completely) I put a slightly larger socket on the bolt with an extension. Then I find a place on the axle and turn the wheel, using the power of the power steering to do the work. Just be careful not to turn to much. All you want is enough to get something in-between the hub and steering knuckle, so you can work the hub off. And yes, assuming you have ABS, you'll need to remove the hub from the axle. It may seem like allot, but it's actually quite easy, if you take your time. At this point I can replace the axle in about 20 minutes.

Now for the U joint itself. I tried the C clamp route, and it can be a pain, especially if you don't have large enough sockets to allow the U joint to move into. Places like Advance Auto have a "free" rental program. Albeit, you have to actually pay for the tool. They Just have special ones in the back that are for rental. And you get your money back when you return it. Or, if you want to keep it, you just call them up and tell them you're keeping it. I found it allot easier to go this route, as the kit has all the right adapters. Also, don't forget to remove all the clips from around the U-joint. The only tricky part is actually putting the new one in. If you've never worked with a U-joint, the caps of the U-joint have to be removed. They have little needle bearings inside. Just make sure they don't fall out.

Good luck. It's actually really easy once you've done it. The first time I had to do a U-Joint, it took me several hours, including going back to the parts store for the right tool. The second time took less than an hour for the how job.

#9 ·
things to keep in mind

1. you need to remove the hub assembly to get the axle shaft out... 13mm 12 point socket needed
2. lifting both front wheels off the ground so you can turn them helps with access to hub assembly bolts... also
3. hub assembly is likely well stuck in place... there is a trick where you can put the rotor on, use 2 items in the rotor on the caliper bracket to keep the hub from spinning, then place something between the axle and joint on the axle shaft then turn the wheel sharply to pop the hub loose a picture of this can be found here
4. that ujoint can be a ***** to remove... i tried a press and had limited results... then i just started hammering it with something holding the cross ends from the cap i was trying to get loose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.