Changing p/s pump and pulley tonight... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Changing p/s pump and pulley tonight...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Changing p/s pump and pulley tonight...

My pump sounds like it has a rod knocking in it, and I just noticed my almost new belt is starting to come apart. I don't have a press and don't feel like trying to get the old pulley off the old pump because I know I'll destroy it. My question is, and I did a quick search before asking, will a metal pulley fit on the '97 pump or do I need to stick with OE style plastic? If a metal fits, what application is it for?

Lastly, any tips for installing a pulley without a press?

zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Did some more looking and answered my first part. Early ZJ's have steel pulley but require early style mounting bracket, etc, etc. Sticking with plastic I guess. But still if anyone has any tips on installing the pulley thanks in advance.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Did some more looking and answered my first part. Early ZJ's have steel pulley but require early style mounting bracket, etc, etc. Sticking with plastic I guess. But still if anyone has any tips on installing the pulley thanks in advance.
It's easy. Go to the parts store and rent the power steering pulley remover/installer. Takes 5 minutes to put on. Don't press it on to far. Just line it up with the other pulleys. The plastic is actually some kind of composite so it's stronger than you think but when they get old they get brittle. Mine says made in Canada. That is the original OEM manufacturer.

You can lube the rod that the pulley goes on for easier install. Some people like to put anti seize on there but I guess that depends on if you live in the rust belt or not.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Second the PS pulley remover/installer tool. You can usually rent them for free at auto parts places or you can buy them for about $15 IMS. Should take less than 10 min to do the job as long as you have clearance.

Some people like to use an impact gun but in my experience that strips the threads on the tool quickly. Back when I sold parts we did them that way but we could always grab another when one failed. I own one and I always use two wrenches with plenty of grease on the threads. Just a little WD-40 on the pump shaft. It's a pressed fit, once it's all together it's water and air tight unless your shaft is buggered up.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies. I'll tackle this tonight before the pump siezes on me somewhere away from home. No rust here unless I drive into the surf, which isn't going to happen. I use impacts for a lot of things, but this pump won't be one of them.
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll tackle this tonight before the pump siezes on me somewhere away from home. No rust here unless I drive into the surf, which isn't going to happen. I use impacts for a lot of things, but this pump won't be one of them.
Just a ratchet or crescent with a cheater pipe worked fine for me.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
dellis
1998 ZJ 

One tip for pulley removal: penetrating oil can help. I had one that wouldn't budge off, but after 15 minutes with some Kroil, it came off.

(Amazing how that stuff gets into the tightest crevices).
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Also please please.. When you put the pully on and you think you have it on right.. install the pump by just bolting it up.. then get a straight edge and line up the A/C compressor's pully with the power steering pully... Put the egde on the a/c pully first then slide it down till you reach the power steering pully and see if there is a gap or if the pully is pulled to far out the straight egde will stop on the edge.. The pully's needs to be aligned perfectly or you will be eating belts up left and right.. trust me i know first hand..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll be buying parts tonight and taking care of it tomorrow after work.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

New pump and pulley are in. Pretty uneventful install. Rented a puller from the parts store so putting the new pulley on the new pump was pretty simple. Bled system, no leaks, all is well again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.