change valve seals w/o removing head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > change valve seals w/o removing head

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

change valve seals w/o removing head

Anyone changed their valve seals with out removing the head? I have always had my heads off changing the seals. was wondering if u guys have ever done it this way. I dont know where to get the tool to screw into the sparkplug hole to fit on my air compressor line... or anyone use the engine restore thats suppose restore compression.... i dont usually throw anything but oil in my engine

coopdc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have done valve seals without removing the head. I made the needed fitting myself because I couldn't find one. Took an old plug, gutted it, and brazed the air fitting to it. Worked pretty good and saved alot of work.

As for the engine restore, I never used it, so I can't comment on it.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
a70eliminator

All you need is about a 1 foot piece of rope, with the piston at TDC feed the rope into the plug hole shove as much in as you can, the rope will keep the valve in position to where you can remove the keepers and spring, change you seals and mone to the next hole.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

buy a compression tester from anywhere, the pieces in the kit that scew into the spark plug hole is what you hook your air compressor too. better have a decent air compressor that can keep up though. Either that or work really really fast!
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

I've always heard the rope trick.

As for restore...I love it. Worked wonders in my old S-10. I haven't used it yet in the Jeep, but I am going to in the next couple of months.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

i know restore works great for blowby type cylinder issues, but i dont think its does much for bad valve seals, but i have been have the same issues, and all i did what change from a synthetic 5w30 to dino 10w30 and added some lucus oil stuff, i now have no smoke at startup, and before its was getting a little concerning.
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Yes, it is meant to restore cylinder walls, not valve seals.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I did the seals on the 304 in my CJ by putting the cylinder I was working on at the bottom of it's intake stroke (BDC), filling up the cylinder with some rope I had that fit through the plug hole (it was soft 1/4" stuff), then rotating the crank until the piston jammed against the rope during the compression stroke. Make sure the rope is big enough to not get jammed between the valve and the seat, because the valve may be open when you feed the rope in, but it will be closed at the top (which you need to pull the keepers and spring off).

The rope holds the valve closed even after the keepers and springs are removed. It was a hassle to move for all 16 valves, but cheap, easy, and no time limits!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Yeah I was just wondering about how long i would have using the air compressor.. i have a pretty big one that should be able to keep up no problem.. iwas just goinng to use the restore to see if it would make a diffrence cause i was not sure if it was the valve seals or blow by in the cylinders.. anyone know how to determin the diffrence.. i only have some smoke at start up really
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Once the cylinder is pressurized it doesnt really loose pressure unless there is a leak. The tester I have used had a check valve as well to keep the pressure up as I remember. You dont need much of a compressor for this job.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdc78 View Post
Yeah I was just wondering about how long i would have using the air compressor.. i have a pretty big one that should be able to keep up no problem.. iwas just goinng to use the restore to see if it would make a diffrence cause i was not sure if it was the valve seals or blow by in the cylinders.. anyone know how to determin the diffrence.. i only have some smoke at start up really
if its only at start up its the valve seals, if it smokes when you hit the gas hard while driving, its blowby, or if you have oil coming up the valve breather into the airbox its blowby, you can always take the oil cap off while its running, if it smokes its blowby.
restore repairs scratches in the cylinder wall, but it sounds like you have valve seal issues, so i would try bardalh with no leak, or Lucas oil stabilizer additive. bardalh worked for about a week. then i changed to a slightly thicker weight oil with lucas, and its gone altogether, the smoke that is.
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Have you done a compression test on this engine yet ? If not , you should . You need to know where the engine is , good or bad , there's no sense wasting money .

What symptoms are you having . Start-up smoke ? Smoking while idling ? Just noticing alot of oil consumption ? Ping ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
if its only at start up its the valve seals, if it smokes when you hit the gas hard while driving, its blowby, or if you have oil coming up the valve breather into the airbox its blowby, you can always take the oil cap off while its running, if it smokes its blowby.
restore repairs scratches in the cylinder wall, but it sounds like you have valve seal issues, so i would try bardalh with no leak, or Lucas oil stabilizer additive. bardalh worked for about a week. then i changed to a slightly thicker weight oil with lucas, and its gone altogether, the smoke that is.
I agree if it starts ONLY on startup, its the valve seals. As long as your not trying to do the job with a little 10gal compressor you should be fine.
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Yeah it does not ping, just smoke when i start up and let idle for a cpl min, not when im driving, and nothing up the air pipe. Im actually doing the compression test this weekend, so i can go from there with that. Wont a compression test also be low if u have bad seals?
I have a 25 gal tank compressor, so Im good there.
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

no cause seals wont leak compression cause they are closed on the compression stroke.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.