Change fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Change fuel pump

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
oEcstasy11
1997 ZJ 

Change fuel pump

So I just had a mechanic work on my 97 zj And he told me I needed to get the fuel pump changed. There is problems with the jeep that it suddenly loses power and sometimes It won't start and I smell gas fumes . Is changing the fuel pump an easy fix that I can just buy the part and be able to do it with my buddy or will I have to have it professionally done which will end up costing me more?

oEcstasy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it's not too difficult.

run most of the fuel out of it.. spray the strap bolts with penetrating oil a day or two before you start. if you have a hitch spray those too. drop tank, clean it out good with kerosene. be careful with fill tube.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's very easy.
Unplug electrical cords, unbolt hose clamps on filler and vent tubes, unbolt tank straps with jack and wood holding it up. Lower it slowly. Unscrew old pump and put the new one in. Be careful when you screw the cap back on making sure the O ring is seated properly. Replace the fuel pressure regulator at the same time.

Like said above, drive it until you think there is no gas left in the tank. Makes it a lot easier.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

On my 96 4.0 I found it easier to get to the filler tank hoses/clamps off if you remove the driver's side rear plastic wheel well flap which is only held on my 3-4 screws. And spray the filler tube with some PB too and will make the hoses easier to remove.

Couldn't get to the rusted clamps on the hoses on the tank itself so I just pulled the hoses through the frame with rags stuck in the hose ends. Made it easier to remove the metal exhaust shield on passenger side which is held on by three 10mm headed bolts.

Washed my tank out with soap/water but one problem is that it's a bear to get it all out since there's a baffle in front of the hoses inside the tank so it won't just pour out. Also the tank hole is recessed. Finally mopped the rinse water out with a rag and let it dry in the sun before installing.

As others have said it's best to use a floor jack with piece of plywood which fits between the tank straps. My strap bolts were rusted so bad had to use a lot of PB/wire brush and kept going forward/backward so rust wasn't building up on the nut threads. Also hold these bolts at the top with vise grips so you don't twist them out of the body. Only have to loosen them about half way and then lift the curved part of the bolt out of the slot in the body at the top.

Don't believe you're going to find any better price on a new pump assembly than this new Bosch 67649 for $120 with free shipping. The fuel regulator and check valve are built into the assembly while it comes with a new filter on the top. Bosch is the OE replacement on fuel pumps and mine runs real quiet. The vendor (e-herko) is reliable and others here have had real good luck using them. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BO...9b15f5&vxp=mtr

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Also, don't be afraid to tighten down the plastic lock ring. PO on my buddy's ZJ replaced the pump and only tightened it down hand tight, after a little driving around we noticed that any time he parked facing down hill the tank would leak fuel. Thankfully he didn't put the hitch or skid back on, so it was a quick fix dropping the tank and snugging the lock ring back on with a flathead screwdriver and hammer.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
oEcstasy11
1997 ZJ 

Before I get into changing the fuel pump I also believe the problem in my 97 zj might have a bad ignition coil. Jeep while driving or idling suddenly stalls out. Then sometimes it may take while till engine turns overs . The battery is new as well as new spark plugs, new distributor, changed catalytic converter . I would like to know if I should change fuel pump of ignition coil
oEcstasy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
JackedLaredo
1994 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-guide-735579/

There you go. Complete guide right there. The one in the guide is a '97 too, not that it makes much of a difference.
JackedLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
dbmorris99
1997 ZJ 

It is very easy i have it down to being able to do it uninstall to install in less than an hour. make sure that you replace the gasket with a new one.
dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.