CEL: o2 sensor going on and off, what gives? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CEL: o2 sensor going on and off, what gives?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
4x4 XJ

CEL: o2 sensor going on and off, what gives?

My CEL came one and I took it to my mechanic to hook up his scanner. It came out as being the o2 sensor. He reset the ECU and called it a day and told me to bring it back if it came on. Well, yesterday we had HUGE storms and all streets were pretty flooded with 2ft of water everywhere. I did have to traverse some of it to get home and here and there, so, the CEL came on and off. Sometimes it would come out, I would hit some water, light went off. My catalytic converter was changed about 2 weeks ago due to it being clogged. This was a cheapo muffler shop new cat, so I think that might of affected it. Anyone have any info?

BFGs
4x4 XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 XJ
My CEL came one and I took it to my mechanic to hook up his scanner. It came out as being the o2 sensor. He reset the ECU and called it a day and told me to bring it back if it came on. Well, yesterday we had HUGE storms and all streets were pretty flooded with 2ft of water everywhere. I did have to traverse some of it to get home and here and there, so, the CEL came on and off. Sometimes it would come out, I would hit some water, light went off. My catalytic converter was changed about 2 weeks ago due to it being clogged. This was a cheapo muffler shop new cat, so I think that might of affected it. Anyone have any info?

I would check the watertight integrety of the electrical connection first. Did you use dialectric grease inside the cap?
Next, make sure the wire isn't cut or loose.

HTH
Unread 05-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
4x4 XJ

I'll go ahead and check that. Thanks. Anyone else?
BFGs
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I was told that would happen if I placed the o2 at a greater distance from the first o2 on the exhaust manifold. I marked the position with a permanent marker on the floor board before taking off my old cat and used it as a guide line during placement of the new cat. No problems for my 02's.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
4x4 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RedBird
I was told that would happen if I placed the o2 at a greater distance from the first o2 on the exhaust manifold. I marked the position with a permanent marker on the floor board before taking off my old cat and used it as a guide line during placement of the new cat. No problems for my 02's.

So if the o2 sensor is placed too far away from the other, the CEL would come on? Hrmm...let me check that too then. Do you know the exact distance from one to the other?
BFGs
Unread 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I don't know how accurate it needs to be at all, and I don't know if the muffler shop I ordered my cat from was bs'ing me at all. I just know I installed the cat with a new 02 and haven't had any problems. I made sure I did follow the muffler shops direction as to placing the o2 closer or the same distance.

i can measure tonight and have it back in the morning. I'm worried about accuracy. I may measure from the tranny mount back, that way it will be a little easier to look at.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.