cd player malfunction on 97 grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cd player malfunction on 97 grand cherokee

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
moremittens

cd player malfunction on 97 grand cherokee

My cd player has a nasty habit of refusing cds.

For no apparent reason, sometimes when I take one out and try to put in another, it won't pull the cd in; instead it feels as if it thinks there's already a cd in there. If the cd is forced in and I press the cd button, it tries to read a track for a few seconds, then says "err --" and spits it back out. After a few weeks, it starts to work again, for no apparent reason.

This has happened again for the third time now, and I tried to reset the computer, hoping it was just confused, but after disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for an hour it still doesn't work. However, I'm doubtful that the stereo was reset since it saved my set radio stations.

Is there a separate procedure for resetting the stereo? Has the cd player just crapped out? I'm ready to sell this car and would like to fix it beforehand.

Thanks!

moremittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 06:41 AM   #2
jeepcherokeev6

unless someone has a better response:

i would reccomend just changing the head unit. a working stereo will raise the value if you're looking to sell it. other than that, i dont have any idea.

good luck!

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
moremittens

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot
moremittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 11:54 AM   #4
turk

If you are comfortable doing this (not reccommended by factory), you can clean your laser lense. Pull your dash cover ad remove the cd player. Then, take off only the top cover to the cd player. You should be able to look straight in at the laser. In some cd players you cannot. Either way, take a q-tip (preferrably not a standard store bought q-tip (unless you have direct access from the top of the player)) If cannot see the laser from the top you will have to go in through the cd slot and using a long swab or a q tip on some sort of extension, wipe the laser lense off manually. The cd "cleaning systems" that you can buy from radio shack or wall mart do nothing to clean the lense. I have used this procedure on my 98 ZJ and on my friends 98 stratus. The end result being normal playing.

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #5
al321cma

'96 GC CD player bad

I had the same problem. Paid repair shop $100 to fix. Worked fine for about a year then happened again. I'll try cleaning the laser lense myself. Thanks.....
al321cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #6
turk

Let me know how it goes!

Turk!

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.