CB mounting and VIC/GDM space usage - fishing for ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CB mounting and VIC/GDM space usage - fishing for ideas

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

CB mounting and VIC/GDM space usage - fishing for ideas

I'm looking at taking out the GDM of my ZJ and making some use of the space, as well as finding a good place to mount a CB. So far I believe my options are:
  1. Simply mount the radio in the VIC/GDM slot
  2. Move the climate controls to the VIC/GDM slot and mount the radio above
  3. Mount the radio in the ash tray slot and use the VIC/GDM slot for storage or a switch panel
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...w-pics-754929/
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...panel-1370164/

I would appreciate any ideas, especially if you have done anything yourself and please include pics if possible. I would especially appreciate ideas for storage for the VIC/GDM slot, but my main goal is for mounting the radio in a good location. I'm trying to stay away from overhead mounting just because I've got no headliner and a sealed-shut broken sunroof from the previous owner, and a future project will be removing the junk and installing an actual roof and headliner. if it makes a difference, I've got a '97 Laredo with the GDM not the VIC

Unread 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

(bump)

also adding option 4, moving climate control down, converting its old spot to storage or switches, and CB in ash tray slot
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Are you set on using a CB you already have?

You can find the 2wd cubby, get the storage you mention and eliminate the VIC.

I'm planning a switch panel where the VIC is and recently picked up a Cobra 75wxst with everything in the mic.. gonna work out well for me.

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

I kicked my VIC in the dick and made a cubby instead. My CB is to the left of the steering wheel and gets bashed in with my knee quite often
p1030293.jpg   p1030292.jpg   p1030294.jpg  

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

My vote is #1 or #3, least amount of modification required.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

I feel #2 would be a lot of work for not much gain

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Most CB's dont fit in the space the vic leaves which is why people do the climate control swap. The swap is easy if you have the (all electronic) ATC climate stuff as in the picture. Not so much if you have the manual controls as they are mechanically linked to pieces of the system.

It's really a shame nobody makes a remote head CB like all the ham gear is, makes it real easy to put the body of the radio under the seat and the control head where you want it.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Are you set on using a CB you already have?

You can find the 2wd cubby, get the storage you mention and eliminate the VIC.

I'm planning a switch panel where the VIC is and recently picked up a Cobra 75wxst with everything in the mic.. gonna work out well for me.

I don't have a radio yet, I'll likely get the same $35 cobra that's in my TJ. It would probably leave enough room to have 2 switches next to it in the VIC slot.... It will also fit in the ash tray slot if I put the work into it. the writeup I linked above uses the same radio I've got in my TJ. that would free up the whole VIC space for storage and/or switches. Any thoughts on making a combination storage switch panel for the VIC slot (cubby with a 2-switch panel)?
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks for the input, everyone. I have overhead-mounted the CB (cable routing is so easy with no headliner) and will convert the GDM slot to a cubby. The ashtray will later be converted to a flip-out switch panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.