caution-------------washing the engine ---------caution - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > caution-------------washing the engine ---------caution

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-10-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
badnews

caution-------------washing the engine ---------caution

Well I figuire 77,000 miles I owe the old girl a bath, I degrease the engine and hose it off------------------------- check engine light comes on, oil pressure gauge acting strange, trans will not shift properly. TCP sensor fried, yeap, come to find out if it gets wet, blamo, it is toast and costs 100-200 for repair and diagnostics. warning to all , becareful when cleaning the engine, cover that sensor, or like me you will come to regret it. TCP= throtle control position sensor.

2003 Jeep Sahara --------- Green Jeep club member #51

Last edited by badnews; 09-10-2003 at 11:02 AM..
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
techie

Where is it? So I make sure it's covered up.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
badnews

On top near the throttle cables, it is small, black ---------------- oh heck here is a pic the small black item on the end of the electrical connecter. mine is a 1998 GC
Unread 09-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
techie

I have a 98 GC also, thanks for the pic and the info. I'll be sure to cover that up when I clean the engine. It's funny, I was just thinking today that it was about time to clean it.
Unread 09-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

I spray mine all the time.. And have never had a problem.. Just lucky I guess..
By the way the TPS only cost about $15 or so... Did you acctually spend $200 ?OUCH>.

Sorry to hear that..

Carl
Unread 09-10-2003, 07:11 PM   #6
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yep, I had the same thing happen to me. Degreased the engine, the TPS got wet and then bad, bad things happen. I was scheduled to have some other work done at the stealership and had them fix it (I didn't know at the time what was wrong). They soaked me for around $85.

I don't deal with that dealer any longer.

- Brian
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
By the way the TPS only cost about $15 or so... Did you acctually spend $200 ?OUCH>.

Sorry to hear that..

Carl
Yeah, 114.00 out the door, the diagnostic tool that plugs in under the dash is about 5000.00 and since I did not have that, and no one has ever posted on this, that I have ever read, I guess I did get boned. Hence the reason I posted.
Unread 09-11-2003, 06:06 AM   #8
msdins

I had a similar problem on my Wrangler once. As soon as I started it up I knew things were not rght, it would barely idle. As it heated up though it was fine. After that I started leaving it running while I sprayed it and never had anymore problems with it.
msdins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews
Yeah, 114.00 out the door, the diagnostic tool that plugs in under the dash is about 5000.00 and since I did not have that, and no one has ever posted on this, that I have ever read, I guess I did get boned. Hence the reason I posted.

www.auterraweb.com

Handy little program for those with a Palm Pilot. If you search around, you can find cables and software for laptops also. Obviosly nothing near what the $5000 diagnostic tool does, but at least you can easily see the trouble codes that would be thrown and some stats.
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:59 AM   #10
Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy

Sorry to hear that..

Carl
Where did you find one for $15 - I needed one and the cheapest I found was $46.

Bird
Unread 09-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
basalt51

My co-workers ZJ started idling rough aout three weeks ago. He said when it's idling rough and he gives it gas it barely goes. after a few seconds the problems goes away and it runs full power. When he comes to a stop it begins idling rough again. Does this sounds like the TPS? For $15-$45 it may be worth while to just swap it out. Is it easy?

Thanks
'97 Cherokee Country RE 5.5", 35" Goodyear MT/Rs, RRO Step-Rails, Skid-Row TC and gas tank skids, BPI bumpers, Dynatrac HP44 and Spider9/Tru Hi9 with 4.88s, Explorer discs, and detroits. [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/97-jeep-cherokee-country-xj-35s-spider9-tru-hi9-dynatrac-hp-d44-4-88s-detroits-1461716/]Cherokee For Sale[/url]
basalt51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2003, 02:26 PM   #12
brad335

TPS is about $30. They are easy to install.
Unread 09-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #13
ecrab3

Man on man I must have been super lucky all these years then! I soak the crap out of my engine and had no problems, the only thing I really cover up is the computer and the relay center.

Good to know!
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
ChruiSSer

I wash the engine all the time. Escpecially after those muddy 4 wheelin escapades...no probs here.
Although whenever I was the "car" and not the engine, the air bag light comes on for a couple hours. Then when it dries out I suppose, it goes off.
Unread 09-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #15
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

If you cover the computer ... How do you get the mud off of it..

Hell I even wash my air filter...LOL.. I am a non discrimanatory washer... I just go wild..

Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.