causes for a pcm to fry? went through 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > causes for a pcm to fry? went through 2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
am9010
1996 ZJ 

causes for a pcm to fry? went through 2

My 1996 jeep grand Cherokee stalled out one day and i went through enough trouble shooting to realize it was my pcm that was at fault. i tested for power to it through the black connector and continuity. so i replaced it with a junkyard one that IS COMPATIBLE i have a list of serial numbers of pcms which will plug and play and work with my gc. after i put that in it started up re learned its stuff and it worked fora few days till i was driving down a 4 lane freeway on the left lane and it stalled out (33 mts slow you down verrrrry fast at 70mph, it was a ***** shifting lanes to get to the right) just like it did when my previous pcm failed.

so my question is what causes pcms to fry? i have power going to it. i do realize there is a chance i just had bad luck with a junk pcm, however if i didnt and it was a burst of to much voltage going to my pcm wouldn't a fuse or my asd relay blow and close the circuit to pcm before it gets damaged?

any input helps!

am9010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

It connects directly to the coil primary, so that is worth a look.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
am9010
1996 ZJ 

update: good news my pcm may not be fried, i just found out i do not have power going to it but i have a good ground. i did a continuity test on pin A22 on the black connector because that is the power wire and there was no continuity. pins A31 and 32 both have continuity which are the grounds.

can someone tell me exactly what could stop giving me power to that wire. my asd relay clicks as does every other one
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

I dunno its tricky when the PCM starts acting up. I had to pretty much replace every single sensor thinking one of them was shorting out the PCM but it turned out to be the PCM all along.
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
am9010
1996 ZJ 

son of a *****, i must have been testing my fuse to quickly and didn't realize a 20 fuse blew someone throw a brick at my face, my jeeps running. lol.
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

lol .. glad you got it running

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.