Catalytic converter Bypass Pipe - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Catalytic converter Bypass Pipe

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-13-2003, 03:28 AM   #16
Kess

no need for a torch, all mighty sawzall

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 06:39 AM   #17
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

Forgot to mention. the muffler guys at warpspeed told me that when you put your o2 sensor in it should be the same distance or less to your engine otherwise a cat farther from the engine with an good o2 could also set off an error.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #18
automan25

It's my understanding that later model ZJs (like 95 and newer) make use of two Oxygen sensors. One in front of the cat, and one behind. The computer compares the values from each of the sensors to determine if the cat needs replacing. If it does, then your check engine light will come on. Earlier models only use one oxygen sensor, mounted in front of the cat. Replacing the cat with straight pipe on these models will have no effect on the engine, the computer, or the check engine light, since it's downstream of all sensors. If you live in a smog controlled area however, you will fail the emissions test everytime.
Unread 06-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #19
pozner

Federal law

Don't want to be a wet blanket, AND I'm not a big fan of catalytic converters, but everyone understands that removing or modifying vehicle emission systems is a Federal offense, right? Shops that are caught doing it are subject to a fine of about $125,000 for a first offense. Vehicle owners are subject to similar fines.
There is a reference to this, but I can't put my finger on it now. Owner of a large muffler shop told me about the fines. He said undercover customers have tried to get him to eliminate their 'cats', but he always refuses.
Pozner

Here's one article.
Exhaust System Repair Guidelines.
The EPA has prepared this fact sheet to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about the types of exhaust work a repair shop can legally perform. If you need any further information about the EPA's tampering policy, please call (202) 564-9240.
Question 1.

Under what conditions or circumstances can a catalytic converter be removed from a vehicle and a converter replacement pipe be installed?
Answer 1.
Under Federal Law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with converter replacement pipes by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing converter replacement pipes on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).
In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving or selling such vehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both Federal and State law.

The only circumstances in which a person would be allowed to remove a converter is if the vehicle is being shipped overseas to an area where unleaded gasoline is not generally available. (Vehicles traveling to Canada or Mexico are not eligible for this exemption.) In this instance the vehicle owner must have a letter from the EPA specifically authorizing the converter removal from the vehicle in question.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.