Carrier Bearings or Rear Wheel Bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Carrier Bearings or Rear Wheel Bearings?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Carrier Bearings or Rear Wheel Bearings?

The WJ's started making some loud thumping noises when slowing down and traveling at parking lot speeds. It kinda sounds like when you'd put a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle tire. The noise isn't nearly as loud when accelerating or driving at normal speed (~45mph). I drained and replaced the fluid in the rear diff over the weekend. I filtered the old gear oil as it drained and didn't fine anything abnormal. Inside the diff everything appeared ok, so I'm leaning towards wheel bearings. I know ifs difficult to diagnose over the internet, but do you think I'm on the right track?

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

I have a similar problem with a ZJ. I had new U-Joints installed. Mine has been doing it since I bought it a few months ago & hasn't gotten any worse & no leaks. As a rule if an axle bearing starts to go axle seals will start leaking.
I hope some answers come through so I don't have to take mine in to the shop to find out. But I fortunate I have a real good & reasonable shop to go to.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULate View Post
I have a similar problem with a ZJ. I had new U-Joints installed. Mine has been doing it since I bought it a few months ago & hasn't gotten any worse & no leaks. As a rule if an axle bearing starts to go axle seals will start leaking.
I hope some answers come through so I don't have to take mine in to the shop to find out. But I fortunate I have a real good & reasonable shop to go to.
that is not a good rule, with my jeep the bearings are gone long before the seals.

I would start by checking and making sure the wheels and axle shafts are still strait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Some new developments, I changed the diff fluid and went through the car-wash (really doubt that had anything to do with it) last week. The noise went away/got a lot quieter for a couple of days. Now its changed to a loud buzzing and vibration when accelerating between 25-40 MPH. Its worse going up hills. I'm hoping its something with the rear axle since I've been slowly building a 9" to swap in...

Unread 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

bump...any ideas? I'm planning to put the rear end up on jackstands today and get it up to speed to see if I can visually see anything vibrating or making noise.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.