Carpet Dyeing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Carpet Dyeing

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
ExpeditionXJ

Carpet Dyeing

Anyone dyed their OEM carpet with good results?

I searched a bit on this and see the aerosols generally stiffen the fabric, has anyone used fabric dye?

I realize i can herc or replace the carpet, i'm looking for a way to hide a few stains but mostly the sun fading on a darker grey carpet. Hoping someone has done this and it's held a few years till i get everything else done then replace with a new carpet.

ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
ExpeditionXJ

Found this..

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB11&Number=866872&page=0&fpar t=1

A search on RIT dye shows no dark grey or charcoal color selection, i'm going to give black a shot. For $25 or so this might be a viable option.
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
MineRunnerZJ
1998 ZJ 

I put RIT dye on my SC400's carpet to change from tan to black and then I finished it off with SEM Landau Black. Has held up great for 3 years. SEM is great stuff. My SC400 is still in storage for the winter (maybe I should get it out) but here's a good thread on the topic from club lexus

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...-to-black.html

SOLD - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Some go fast goodies, JK Moabs 255/75R17 BFG M/Ts, MX-6s, 4'' RE Lift - Super Ride Adj. control arms, Addco's, JKS trackbars/discos..... Kolak Exhaust/Ignition, SCT tuned!
ARB Bull Bar
SOLD - 99 TJ 4.0L AX15 -
6" Rubicon Express Springs/Disco's, Clayton's Long Arm w/ triangulated 4 link, Ford 8.8 4.56 gears. JB SS SYE, Tom Woods Driveshafts. Poison Spider Rocker Knockers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Cat and 50 series, Custom Front/Rear Bumpers with Warn XD9000i.
Rollin on 35" BFG A/T's
SOLD - 93 ZJ 4'' RE lift, 32 BFG MT tons of other goodies!

[B]NoVA Jeepers[/B]
MineRunnerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

I thought about herculining my zj after i sank it, but the zj floor is terrible for a bedliner set up, all kinds of seems and ribs and wires. I ended up just cleaning my carpet and putting it back in.
Squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
ExpeditionXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineRunnerZJ View Post
I put RIT dye on my SC400's carpet to change from tan to black and then I finished it off with SEM Landau Black. Has held up great for 3 years. SEM is great stuff. My SC400 is still in storage for the winter (maybe I should get it out) but here's a good thread on the topic from club lexus

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...-to-black.html
Nice Lexus!

Appreciate the feedback, doesnt seem to be much on the net about using fabric dye on carpets. Did the SEM addition make the carpet firm at all?

Any chance you have a pic of just after the RIT? I'm going from dark grey to black so i'm imagining i wont need any spray.. the RIT should suffice.
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
MineRunnerZJ
1998 ZJ 

I can try and get a picture this weekend. It turned out great after just the dye, but I wanted the carpet and mats to match exactly with my seats so that's why I sprayed with SEM afterwards. And no it did not make it any stiffer. SEM is truly incredible stuff. I was skeptical for two years as how it was going to hold up and it still looks brand new after three years. By the way, every piece inside the Lexus has been sprayed with an SEM product. None of that used to be black.

SOLD - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Some go fast goodies, JK Moabs 255/75R17 BFG M/Ts, MX-6s, 4'' RE Lift - Super Ride Adj. control arms, Addco's, JKS trackbars/discos..... Kolak Exhaust/Ignition, SCT tuned!
ARB Bull Bar
SOLD - 99 TJ 4.0L AX15 -
6" Rubicon Express Springs/Disco's, Clayton's Long Arm w/ triangulated 4 link, Ford 8.8 4.56 gears. JB SS SYE, Tom Woods Driveshafts. Poison Spider Rocker Knockers
K&N Intake, Flowmaster Cat and 50 series, Custom Front/Rear Bumpers with Warn XD9000i.
Rollin on 35" BFG A/T's
SOLD - 93 ZJ 4'' RE lift, 32 BFG MT tons of other goodies!

[B]NoVA Jeepers[/B]
MineRunnerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If you want it to last here's the formula.

First remove the carpet. Lay it out in the driveway. Throw a little soap in a 5 gallon bucket. Dish soap, woolite, whatever. I've used whitewall tire cleaner in a pinch. Now attack with a tire brush. Don't be shy with water, spray directly with a garden hose til it rinses clean. This is pretty much a one time cleaning cause the carpet won't survive too many cleanings of this degree.

Now hang it over a fence or railing. If the water starts running brown, (it may) make more soap and scrub til it rinses clean. Leave it in a hanging position overnight to fully drain. A day in the sun may be enough to dry or it may need some time in front of a fan. Rinsing til clear is important, soda spills will make the whole carpet just slightly sticky, even the previously clean areas, if only rinsed 98%. You'll probably be shocked at what comes out, I am even after doing this to twenty cars.

Heinous stains & smells will be eliminated. Cloth seats can go thru the same treatment, try not to directly spray seat switches or motors. Seats will have to be fan-dried for a day or three depending on humidity. Now's a good time to spritz any visible brackets with black paint.

Now it's ready for your dye and probably looking ten years newer even without dye. If using aerosols it takes a lot more than the can says.

After dye, hit the whole thing with a dry tire brush to loosen the weave. It will also show light areas that would otherwise reveal themselves shortly after reinstallation.

My 95 laredo with "luxury interior" has carpet from a 97 laredo with standard interior. Because the 97 carpet is twice the weight & fiber density of the 95 carpet. Supposedly ZJs gained 250lbs in 96, I can assure you 30 lbs of it is carpet. Not sure the year of your truck but something to ponder.

Removing to clean is TOTALLY worth it. Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
ExpeditionXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
If you want it to last here's the formula.

First remove the carpet. Lay it out in the driveway. Throw a little soap in a 5 gallon bucket. Dish soap, woolite, whatever. I've used whitewall tire cleaner in a pinch. Now attack with a tire brush. Don't be shy with water, spray directly with a garden hose til it rinses clean. This is pretty much a one time cleaning cause the carpet won't survive too many cleanings of this degree.

Now hang it over a fence or railing. If the water starts running brown, (it may) make more soap and scrub til it rinses clean. Leave it in a hanging position overnight to fully drain. A day in the sun may be enough to dry or it may need some time in front of a fan. Rinsing til clear is important, soda spills will make the whole carpet just slightly sticky, even the previously clean areas, if only rinsed 98%. You'll probably be shocked at what comes out, I am even after doing this to twenty cars.

Heinous stains & smells will be eliminated. Cloth seats can go thru the same treatment, try not to directly spray seat switches or motors. Seats will have to be fan-dried for a day or three depending on humidity. Now's a good time to spritz any visible brackets with black paint.

Now it's ready for your dye and probably looking ten years newer even without dye. If using aerosols it takes a lot more than the can says.

After dye, hit the whole thing with a dry tire brush to loosen the weave. It will also show light areas that would otherwise reveal themselves shortly after reinstallation.

My 95 laredo with "luxury interior" has carpet from a 97 laredo with standard interior. Because the 97 carpet is twice the weight & fiber density of the 95 carpet. Supposedly ZJs gained 250lbs in 96, I can assure you 30 lbs of it is carpet. Not sure the year of your truck but something to ponder.

Removing to clean is TOTALLY worth it. Good luck

The carpet is out and has been heavily washed and rinsed once already, i have done this several times before on my other Jeeps. The sun fading of the oem dark grey carpet and the few stains that i'll wash again before dye are the issues that have me wanting to try a dye.
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Do you have a spray gun? Auto body supply houses that sell/mix paint also handle dye, a quart is probably in line with your needs.

Ought to turn out nice since you're going the whole way, good luck.
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
ExpeditionXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Do you have a spray gun? Auto body supply houses that sell/mix paint also handle dye, a quart is probably in line with your needs.

Ought to turn out nice since you're going the whole way, good luck.

I do have a spray gun, although it's a cheap HF one that i sprayed my XJ with.

Thanks for the tip, i will look into that. Does this product leave a soft carpet?
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Every dye I've used is a little crispy once it dries, but work it over with a tire brush and it's back to normal.

HF gun is totally fine, not like you're worried bout runs
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Squatch
1976 CJ5 

Yea i couldn't believe how heavy the carpet was in my 98

Its not fun getting all the water out of the foam in the bottom either, i kept using a shop vac+ pressure while i let mine dry out
Squatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
ExpeditionXJ

MineRunner... how long did you leave the carpet submerged in the water/dye?

Was wrenching on a buds Scrambler yesterday, i ended up bringing his carpet home as well, his is dyeing now. Figured i'd let it sit overnight then take it out and hang dry.

Picked up 6 8oz bottles of black for his carpet. His has less of a pile on his carpet so i figured it'd be a good test prior to doing mine.

Sitting in the dye and HOT water solution, tomorrow i'll take it out and hang to dry. Then rinse with cool water and let dry again.

Unread 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
ExpeditionXJ

20 hours soaking, looks like this works well. Remember this is a Scrambler carpet i'm doing a test run on. Think i need a larger tote for the ZJ's carpet.

Unread 05-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
ExpeditionXJ

Mine is done, had to go pick up a larger 45 gallon tote to do this in. I'm very happy with the results.

First i rinsed out the sound deadener/insulation i removed, let it dry and used 3M adhesive to reglue it on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.