Carolina vs Tom Woods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Carolina vs Tom Woods

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Twistedrocker
2004 WJ 

Carolina vs Tom Woods

Any preferences between these two DS companies??

For basically the same product, Carolina's quote was ~$100 less expensive, but the guy at TW seemed to know a bit more. Perhaps the Carolina solution was less robust/lower quality?

Also, what is your opinion of a boot near the axle joint? Anyone ever torn one of these off while wheeling? Most of the replacement DS I've seen around the forum have been the non-boot type. Did this choice have a compelling reason?

One decision I've made is to replace the Front output yolk from CV to UJoint. Result is a lower DS angle which can only do good... I've never maintenanced my TC myself. Looks like I'll be checking the FAQ section for a how-to.

Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Twistedrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

I've had awesome luck with carolina

If you plan on lifting it you definately want to go to a U-joint style shaft, vs your current cv style with the boot...idealy you want u-joint on both ends, however you'll need a new yoke for your D30 to pull that off...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I have had great luck with both.

Carolina is cheaper, as for quality of the driveshafts themselves, I think they're the same. TW's uses a higher quality u-joint though.

TW's is more of a "local" jeeper to us...if you ever come out to GSW he may be there (wheeled with him 2 years ago) and is a nice guy...he has a ZJ himself so he is a bit more familiar with Grands then Carolina is.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I have a Carolina front DS (that replaced my TW's front DS that became too short) and a TW's rear drive shaft that matches the SYE I installed from TW.
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

i have a carolina front DW and am very pleased with its quality and price
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I also noticed TW uses a bit better u-joint, but since the rest of the quality is the same, CAROLINA FTW
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I have Tom Woods front and no complainants. It was $100 so I couldn't go wrong. I am happy with it but can't compare it to Carolina.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.