Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cargo cover won't stay expanded... Can't use it.

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  madrabbitt 
#1 ·
Cargo / trunk / security cover won't stay expanded and rolls back by itself.

The cover would always want to roll back to its rolled up state, even when the jeep isn't moving and is just parked. If the jeep is being driven, slightest jolt would cause the cover to roll itself back.

The problem is with the tips, which reach for and supposed to catch the walls, are bit worn and short. I only see less than quarter-inch depth of the tips making contact with the walls. I don't see how the tips have worn out, and I have a hard time imagining how the tips were long enough in the first place.

Although these are the small issues, being this is such a simple design, it makes me to question Jeep's quality control.

I can't use this cover at all.

The solution is, perhaps, finding a pen-cap like shaped something of the right size to lengthen the tips. But I haven't been unable to find something which work.

Anyone have similar frustrations?

See less See more
#4 ·
Hard to imagine the metal rod core would shrink. I've seen other WJ, and its cover looked just as same as mine. Grooves on the walls looked the same as well. So, either the width of my cover is bit short, or my cargo space is roomier in width by a half ~ 1 inch.

I'm the second owner this 99 WJ limited, bought it from a friend moving to oversea. Perhaps my jeep is one of the earliest production with a few minor bugs.

#5 ·
Duck Tape would hold it in place. ;)

#8 ·
2 owners before you, could have gotten switched with a non '99-'04 GC cargo cover.

#10 ·
If I were trying to compete with other automakers, I would put thought into *everything* so I could sell a $40k vehicle and generate satisfied customers.

As far as the cover not being wide enough, you do have a '99 so I'd say it's a possibility that it was a kink in the first year production. I wouldn't think it would be very hard to extend the tips to make it catch better, probably your best option at this point

#12 ·
The width of my cover measures to 47 1/2 inches, or a half inch shy of 4 feet, tip to tip (the black rubber tips). Perhaps, it's a bit too short. Or, perhaps my trunk is a bit too wide wall to wall. Not quite sure if I find another cover new or used from eBay, junkyard, etc. would solve my problem.

I understand that my WJ is soon to be 10-year old car. Some minor issues do exist that had and will have to be fixed. No big deal. I simply like to maintain & refurbish this WJ in a decent shape, because I've decided to keep it for a while.

(I'm the kind of guy who still owns his first car, a racer-wannabe compact VW from the college days, and enjoy a few other vintage motorbikes which are taken apart half the time, and can only be ridden the other half the time)

I'm not particularly attracted to new WK or any other new vehicles in the market place at this time -- I don't care for extra gizmos and unnecessary complexities. With this WJ, I want to gradually become more involved and get into 4-wheeling & jeepin' scenes...

I thank the fellow members for the attention on this thread so far.
:)

#13 ·
one of my tips was already broken. i broke the other off and attatched screw-in hooks to each end, and use the exising tie down square loops to secure it.

pics inthe AM

#15 ·
Using the terms "open" & "closed" may possibly be confusing; would "open" mean when the sheet is rolled out, or rolled up? So, I described it as "expanded" & "rolled-up".

Thanks a million for such a good idea! I could drill a pilot hole to the tips and screw-in wood screws to act as extensions!

#17 ·
and i know i promised pics... but i just got up.
so i'll snap some now when i run to the store for milk

#21 ·
i got "cup and mug" hooks from walgreens, drilled a small pilot hole, then screwed them in.
Total investment was like 5 bucks... I gave the rest of the hooks to my mom to hang cups and mugs... lol.

I had to snap one of the existing pegs off, the other was already missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.