Cargo box on original cross bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cargo box on original cross bars?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Cargo box on original cross bars?

Searched the forum but nothing came up about this:
Can you put a cargo box (for skis etc.) on the standard crossbars? They look a bit thin and flimsy, but my owner's manual does not mention cargo boxes, only the standard warnings about weight limits, precautions when transporting long items (boats, plywood sheets, etc).

I have however seen translated manuals for the same vehicle, that explicitly warns against using cargo boxes on standard cross bars.

I'm confused . What does your owner's manual say?

Unread 03-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
jeepjeepster

Cant imagine why the bars would be there if you cant use them.

Ive never hauled a cargo hauler, but Ive had a mattress set, Christmas tree's, wood, potato guns, etc up there. Never had any issues.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post

Ive never hauled a cargo hauler, but Ive had a mattress set, Christmas tree's, wood, potato guns, etc up there. Never had any issues.
I drove from Birmingham Alabama to Savannah Georgia with a mattress and box spring strapped to the top once.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post

I would love to see a potato gun large enough to be mounted to the top of a jeep.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale View Post
Can you put a cargo box (for skis etc.) on the standard crossbars? They look a bit thin and flimsy,...
No problem. The cargo box's are flimsy and a good match for the flimsy roof rack. I have a Thule and haul ski's a bunch. You might want to get one of those step-ladders for your tire so you don't have to stand on rear seat.

Also, studies have shown you will get better mileage with the box mounted backwards. It looks goofy but is aero-correct. Expect to lose a mpg or two if its windy.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Can you put a cargo box (for skis etc.) on the standard crossbars? They look a bit thin and flimsy...

I have however seen translated manuals for the same vehicle, that explicitly warns against using cargo boxes on standard cross bars.
They just don't look flimsy, they are flimsy. IMO, the stock crossbars are a joke, nothing more than that. IIRC they have a 100lbs load rating, but I've strapped no more than 50-60lbs worth of timber on them right on the side next to cargo rails - and they still bent pretty severly under the load. Dunno if the 4.0/5.2 crossbars are any better than the niner version, as far as I know the roof rails and crossbars are a bit different on the niners.

I've seen many people use ski boxes on the stock rails/ crossbars, if they spread the load from one side to another fairly evenly on both of the bars it should be ok.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
OCDComputing
1998 ZJ 

I've hauled a 200lb+ 4x8 popup ice shack on mine and didn't have any issues.
OCDComputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've put 10 or 12 pressure treated 4x4s on mine. Seemed to be fine but I was only driving a couple miles. I would think a roof box would be okay. You can steal extra bars from junkyard ZJs if you need a little more support. Saw a pic of a guy on here that had four of them.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1mj View Post
I would love to see a potato gun large enough to be mounted to the top of a jeep.
I made one with 2400 cubic inch reservoir, a custom-made-for-potato-cannons trigger, and a 7 foot long rifled barrel. Pressurize the tank to 70-80 psi, and pull the trigger. Just make sure you're standing waaaay back. It'd shoot a frozen potato through a 3/4" piece of solid oak. I'd love to mount that to a roof
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Hawkeye01

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Can you put a cargo box (for skis etc.) on the standard crossbars? They look a bit thin and flimsy, but my owner's manual does not mention cargo boxes, only the standard warnings about weight limits, precautions when transporting long items (boats, plywood sheets, etc).

I'm confused . What does your owner's manual say?
I have a Yakima cargo box that I use on my rig. I tried it first with the stock cross bars and found out that they were too flimsy so I used some Thule cross bars that I had laying around the garage. They were much better than the stock ones. I went for the Yakima cargo box rather than the Thule because it was built better and didn't move around in the wind as much as the Thule.
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for all input.

Back to the original question: Does the original US owner's manual mention cargo boxes at all? Mine doesn't, but in Europe some translated ones expressly prohibits the use of cargo boxes on stock cross bars.
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Checked the owner's manual on my 93. No mention of cargo boxes specifically but it does talk about sheets of plywood and small boats. Can't imagine that a small boat would be okay but not a cargo box.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I put my yakima up there all the time, had to drill the crossbars cause they're a strange size though. Put sheets and sheets of 3/4 ply up there for year too. The 10 pieces of 2" sch 40 pipe finally broke em though.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Checked the owner's manual on my 93. No mention of cargo boxes specifically but it does talk about sheets of plywood and small boats. Can't imagine that a small boat would be okay but not a cargo box.
Just as in my owner's manual, in English.

Funny thing is that some ZJs in these parts came with Swedish owner's manuals, where cargo boxes on original crossbars are expressly forbidden.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
^- that's like the sticker-instructions on aluminum 6-step ladders I bought from Biltema, there are special mentions "Sweden only" to avoid certain things ..and I am not kidding..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.