Car Dying at Idle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Car Dying at Idle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

Car Dying at Idle?

Hey guys,
Have a 96 ZJ Inline 6. I have had a slow battery drain. But recently had both my battery and alternator tested as good. Any Ideas as to why the zj would not be able to hold idle causing it to die? Its fine under power but as soon as I take the foot of the gas the rpm's drop and engine dies. Thanks

Unread 11-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
bigvjp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

zj help

it has to be the battery ,it will run with higher rpms off alt. but at idle battery needs proper volts ot stay running tps wont read signal. hope this helps.
bigvjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

battery is new could it be a bad ground to the battery?
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It doesn't like being called a car and is mad at you.
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Try a new battery, these jeeps will not run properly without a good battery.
Just do this test, pull a good battery from a diff vehicle and put it in the jeep, if it still does it, then its not the battery, if it runs fine, then you know it was the battery.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

Most likely the battery, though it could be the alternator, if it isn't supplying sufficient voltage/amperage to the battery at idle. If my battery is a little weak (forgot to turn the lights off or something) it idles really slow until it gets charged back up.
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
highlyuncntered
1998 ZJ 

Replace the IAC motor. I had a '99 Wrangler 4.0l that did the same thing. Ran just great until i took my foot off the gas, then nothing. Advance should have it for about $45.

'98 ZJ Limited V8 "Daisy"
highlyuncntered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
straight-pipe
2007 JK Wrangler 

It could be a simple thing as a very dirty throttle body. My 5.2 wouldn't idle last year so I manually bumped up my idle and my fuel mileage wasn't very good either. I found out that my throttle body was caked with crap around the butterflies. I cleaned it up using a sensor safe intake cleaner and a soft brush. started the engine and sprayed the cleaner in the intake while feathering the throttle so that it wouldn't stall....the idle jumped up to 1700! I backed the idle screw back down to factory and everything is normal once more and got my fuel mileage back as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.