Can't start my 94 zj, think it's anti theft related - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can't start my 94 zj, think it's anti theft related

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
brockhodgson

Can't start my 94 zj, think it's anti theft related

So my car has been working fine and all the sudden I cannot get it to start I am hoping that someone can shed some light and help me get it working.

Problem: Get into to start vehicle and all electrical is acting normal until I go to turn it over and you here the starter click then all power shuts off. After that there is no lights, power locks, power windows, etc. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery all power is restored but when I try to start the car again I get the same problem.

I tested the battery and it checks out fine, don't think it's starter related because all the electric shuts off when I try to turn the key and checked the main wires and they seem ok. I think the anti theft system is malfunctioning and that is why I cannot start it. There is some sort of relay box located behind the battery that comes out of the positive wire bundle and it is very corroded. I cleaned it with some battery cleaner and it started for two days and now I have the same problem. I don't even know what it's called to order it. I am going to try to ground the anti-theft system but am kind of at a lost.

Please help with any suggestions

brockhodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

if it was anti-theft it's lights would be flashing and it would turn over but the gas supply would be shut off if I remember right.

You have a connection problem I think and you need to check and clean all the connections, ground wires to body etc. .

You might try getting somebody to try starting in the dark, while you are looking under the hood, to see if you see a spark or can hear where the click is coming from.

Don't rule out a bad starter either,try tapping kind of hard on the starter with a hammer and see what happens too.

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

"If I disconnect and reconnect the battery all power is restored but when I try to start the car again I get the same problem."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Your statement there, hints to me, that the connection problem is right there in the battery area and when you move the wires around you get a feeble connection again.

Also, do you know the key in the door lock trick for the anti-theft thing, because after you find your bad connection you may have to do that too.

Clean where your batt. wires go into the batt. terminals too.

Edit: Welcome to the forum and good luck with it.

Phit

Last edited by phitmein; 07-30-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am gonna back up that assessment, Check the negative cable very closely than take the time to scrub the terminal post and clamp. A bad ground connection is not that uncommon.

After you figure it out Post up your findings.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
rickyantanies
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i had that problem and it was corrosion on the battery
Colorado jeep club member #1992
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/patriot-blue-build-1179435/#post11126000
rickyantanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

thanks dawgs...

Phit
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
brockhodgson

Yep pretty confident it was corrosion in one of the ground wires. The connections looked pretty clean initially but when I looked closer the body ground had pretty bad corrosion. Spent 5 bucks to replace the cable and seems to be working. I convinced myself the connections were fine so thanks everyone for persuading me otherwise.
brockhodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
xgerstandtx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No worries man that's what we are all here for.

You can edit your jeep details so the drop down menu under your name works. That makes it really easy to get accurate answers and get some street cred around here.

Whidbey4x4.com
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Sweet, very nice, well done Sir.

I love it, when the stealerships, don't get the money.

Phit

Tags
alarm , anti theft , security , start problems , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.