Can't get my power steering Pulley on!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can't get my power steering Pulley on!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Gregis
1998 ZJ 

Can't get my power steering Pulley on!!

Ok, so I just bought a new power steering pump for my 1998 GC 5.2L. I got the pump off with little problems and now I have the new one and I have a new pulley to install. I rented the pulley removal and install kit from autozone, the OEM one, and I tightened it up as much as I can. I need to put it on about 1/4 more on. The problem seems to be when I am holding the 2 wrenches and tightening the one I am supposed to, I can turn it, but the wheel is turning with it ever so slightly, nothing is wrong with the threads, and this takes so much strength. So it seems as if the part that you slip the pulley onto is moving after so much strength, even while the bolt does not move when i am tightening. I tightened it a little more when I used the wrench to hold the bolt in place (held that wrench with the side of my leg; the pump is in my lap) And tightened with one hand and I held the pulley itself with my other hand and it finally began to tighten a little again, but now its just too much to hold the pulley with my hand. From what I read, this isn't supposed to happen, do I have a defective pump I bought brand new and need to take it back to autozone? Will they give me a new one, and not give me any **** about trying to say I broke it? Am I doing something wrong? (the only reason I am not doing what I read you should do now is because it is not going on all the way.

-oh and sorry for the run-on sentences but I am so frustrated, this was supposed to be an easy job and then I could move on to other things I have to do to the jeep!

Gregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Gregis
1998 ZJ 

Ok sounds like I probably came up with my own answer since no one replied here, so I am about to go to autozone now... i hope they are cool!
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
tankerdude
1995 ZJ 

Gregis, did you ever get it on? I've got the same problem with the pulley on my 98 5.9. It needs to go on about 1/8" more, but with my wife holding the pulley and me on a breaker bar and a huge crescent wrench, we can't budge it any farther. If she doesn't hold the pulley, the installer just unscrews out of the ps shaft. I'm using the Advance puller/installer set. Sometimes the 3/8 bolt in the ps shaft unscrews from the big shaft part of the puller and now the threads are rolling on it. This puller design sucks. I guess I was supposed to grease the shaft before installing the pulley. Now I have it 80 percent on. How did you get yours the rest of the way on? This is a new pulley and I hate to try to pull it off. Using this same puller set, I pulled the entire ring off the old pulley on the bad pump. It broke off all the way around. Hate to ruin a new $20 one. What did you end up doing?
tankerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it was HARD getting that last 1/4" on mine when i did it. it's normal and you'll need a lot of strength and a vise to hole the workpiece in place while you reef on it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Gregis
1998 ZJ 

I got mine on

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerdude View Post
Gregis, did you ever get it on? I've got the same problem with the pulley on my 98 5.9. It needs to go on about 1/8" more, but with my wife holding the pulley and me on a breaker bar and a huge crescent wrench, we can't budge it any farther. If she doesn't hold the pulley, the installer just unscrews out of the ps shaft. I'm using the Advance puller/installer set. Sometimes the 3/8 bolt in the ps shaft unscrews from the big shaft part of the puller and now the threads are rolling on it. This puller design sucks. I guess I was supposed to grease the shaft before installing the pulley. Now I have it 80 percent on. How did you get yours the rest of the way on? This is a new pulley and I hate to try to pull it off. Using this same puller set, I pulled the entire ring off the old pulley on the bad pump. It broke off all the way around. Hate to ruin a new $20 one. What did you end up doing?
I went to autozone, they said there shouldnt be a problem with the new pump but if it ends up not working they will give me another one. I ended up going to get it on with a press. I went to Napa autoparts but their machine shop guy and press was out of order, so the front desk gave me a number to this guy who has his own machine shop and he got it on for me. The problem he said was that I did not lubricate it, but should use a special lube compound that helps get parts like that on but at the same time remains tight to the pully so it wont slip, so u shouldnt use normal lubrication. He had to take off the same pulley I got on there off to put it on all the way so he could lubricate it. He had to get it off with these high powered air tools, he said "wow, that thing really didn't want to come off". So if its already on and you dont think you can get it off by hand you might have to take it somewhere. Napa was prob only gonna charge me 5$, this guy charged me 20$, but I threw him another 5$ for the respect of his knowledge (really cool guy who took care of my problem and knew exactly what to do). I actually don't know if it was a press, but one of those clamps on a table to hold the bolt while he used his own pulley installer.
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
rebuilder02
2002 WJ 

Oh....I have some bad memories of these pulleys. I've broke pulleys and sheared off bolts used to install. I personally think they are just not getting the diameters correct on these. Way too tight.
(02 Blue WJ 4x4 4.7L Laredo project 147K) (01 Blue WJ 4x4 4.0L Laredo 38K on engine/tranny... wife's) (99 Black WJ 4.0L Laredo Project 38K needs engine/tranny) (00 Red WJ 4x4 4.7L Limited project 200K) (97 Grey ZJ 4x4 5.2L Orvis project 200K) (97 White ZJ 5.2L Limited project 125K) (98 Green ZJ Limited crashed parts vehicle 195K) (97 Grey ZJ 5.2L Laredo 130K) (& with great fondness....Ole Yeller....my 89 Yellow Grand Wagoneer....dearly departed) Snellville, GA
rebuilder02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
tankerdude
1995 ZJ 

Thanks guys for the advice. I hadn't touched my pump for a 6 weeks or so; I was using the pump out of my 95 Orvis until I could get that pulley on. I decided today I needed to fix it or break it. I read online last night about a guy using a 3/8" bolt, a nut and 3 washers with grease between each one of them. I didn't have a 3/8" hardened bolt with enough threads to screw into the ps shaft more than 2 turns, so I scrapped that idea. But that got me to thinking about my puller/installer again. I assembled my small shaft to the big shaft (no jokes please lol) and then put grease between the big nut you turn and the included bearing, between the bearing and the included silver washer, and more grease between the silver washer and a larger heavy steel washer I had and grease between that washer and the pulley hub. Again wife holding the pulley and me with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a huge crescent wrench on the big nut you turn. Even with all that grease, I had to use a heavy work glove on the hand using the crescent wrench because it was killing my hand. After about 1/2 of a turn past where I couldn't move it without the glove, I got a loud crack and I told my wife we broke something, probably the puller. The puller unscrewed like normal and the pulley had gone on a 1/64th or so. I put it back on and strained on it again until another loud crack and it was on a little more. After about 6 or 7 of these loud cracks, I actually got the pulley almost flush with the shaft. I mounted it and put the belt on to see how it lined up and decided not to push it any farther; looks perfect. I couldn't start it as the new pump was dry. After filling it, it runs with no belt noise, but has a slight wobble like the pulley is not quite square on the shaft. I took it out for a 30 mile run and no noise and no problem with the belt staying on either. The wobble is minor although it could make the belt wear faster. It's the original belt at 174,300 miles. One odd thing is both my 5.9's have plastic power steering pulleys, but the 95 has a steel pulley on it with less of an offset. When I put the 95 pump in the 5.9 (both use the same pump according to the parts stores), the steel pulley was up against the steel coolant line that comes out of the water pump. I had to pull the steel pulley about 1/4" to get the belt to shut up. That left the pump shaft 1/4" down inside the pulley hole. I was worried it might work itself off the shaft, but after 2000 miles it didn't look like it had moved any. If I tried to put a plastic pulley on the 95, it would not line up with everything else. It looks like the 95's mounting bracket between the pump and the left head is thicker than the 5.9 bracket. I've read in the forums of people putting on a new pulley, getting it flush and it doesn't line up beltwise. So anyone going from a steel pulley to a plastic pulley may need to get the thinner mounting bracket. Likewise, anyone wanting to replace their plastic pulley with a steel one may need to go to the thicker mounting bracket to get the belt to line up. The plastic pulley can be pushed on past flush according to the book, so that may work also. Lastly, with this Advance puller, after every 1/2 turn of the big nut, I have to check the small shaft where it screws into the big shaft. It constantly trys to unscrew itself. I have it tightened every time with the breaker bar and a wrench. The first time I tried this a month ago, I thought the pulley was going on and instead the shafts were unscrewing themselves. When you get to only a couple threads left, the strain rips the last couple threads off ruining the small shaft. So every time it made the loud crack, I took it apart and tightened the 2 shafts. I'd say half the time they were no longer tight. I found you cannot turn the breaker bar and the big nut both when you're straining on it. The breaker bar must not be turned; that unscrews the 2 shafts. Hold the breaker bar steady and turn ONLY the big nut. The shafts seperate less then, although it doesn't stop entirely. I think the bottom line is you need to put grease on the shaft and pulley hole before starting the process. I didn't, thinking the pulley might spin on the shaft if I did. These things are so tight, they're is no way it'll slip. I hope my trials and tribulations will help someone else. Thanks guys.
PS I think the secret when you have one this tight is the grease between everything on the puller. A month ago I couldn't budge it any farther even with a glove, but this time with grease everywhere, I managed to force it on.

Last edited by tankerdude; 07-21-2010 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Add something.
tankerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.