Can't get #6 plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can't get #6 plug

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
freddytran

Can't get #6 plug

Tuning up a 97 GC 4.0L I6 and can't get to #6 (in front, partially blocked by the a/c compressor). How the heck do you get to it? Luckily I didn't "need" to do the tune-up; just wanted to do it after the K&N FIPK install last night.

[url=http://www.joshuas-tree.com/boudreaux.html]89 GW Boudreaux[/url]
freddytran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
pjm8047

USE A UNIVERSAL JOINT SPARK PLUG SOCKED.
pjm8047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I just did mine coincidental with my water pump replacement. I had the spiral wires and plugs for months now, and this was the perfect opportunity. With the belt off, it just takes four bolts on the A/C compressor to get at the plug. I am also replacing the belt while I have it off.

Once I get the new pump in the next few days, I hope that it will all come back together nicely, leak / squeal free and spark friendly. Right now, the engine looks like a mess all torn apart.

Kent
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There are two ways that I have done this. One use a “wobbler” socket extension” or use a universal joint with a standard extension.

For replacing the spark plug, stick it on the end of a piece of fuel hose; for geting the first couple of threads started.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddytran
#6 (in front
Don't inline engines start with #1 at the front?
Unread 09-13-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
jeepzjlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm8047
USE A UNIVERSAL JOINT SPARK PLUG SOCKED.
^^What they said. I use a universal joint socket and a 12" extension (its just what I have lying around) to get at it. Works great.

Pic of the type of socket I'm talking about...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.