Cannot shift from 4 Part-Time position to 2WD position - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cannot shift from 4 Part-Time position to 2WD position

Awesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

Cannot shift from 4 Part-Time position to 2WD position

When I bought my Command Trac, 95 4.0 ZJ last Sept., I noticed it was in 4 part-time. According to the previous owner it sat like this for several years. I finally got it running yesterday after 5 months of repairing and replacing TONS of parts and making adjustments. It's a Michigan Jeep(think corrosion) that was severely neglected. The left side shifter handle is stuck hard in 4 Part-Time. There is no play in it whatsoever. A few weeks back I soaked all the linkage joints with penetrating spray anticipating a problem.

I took it for a spin in my pasture because the owner's manual said not to drive it 4WD on hard surface roads. I tried various speeds but could not shift it to 2WD. This was the first time this Jeep was driven in like 7 years. After a short spin and with the engine/transmission warmed up I checked the trans fluid and it was low on the stick(a little below the min dimple). Can this make any difference? I checked the fluid in the 231 transaxle and it was full of very nice looking/smelling light red fluid. The Jeep has less than 30K actual driven miles but was towed behind an RV for many more miles(I think this could be true because all the fluids looked new and the interior is like-new too). I never had a 4WD vehicle before so any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so close!!!

dodgemahal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

Will the T-case shifter move into neutral? Or is it completely frozen in place?

Edit: Sorry stuck hard gotchya. First thing I'd do is disconnect the linkage at the shift tab on the T-case and see if you can shift it by hand.

If not, you probably have to drop the T-case and open it up to see what might be the problem.
Unread 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
a70eliminator
1998 ZJ 

Linkage

9 out of 10 times it's nothing more than rusted link ends, all it takes is one.
Spraying them with lube probably helped but what it's going to take is a little persuasion, tap tap tap back and forth with a pipe or small hammer if you can get it up in there from underneath or course, once you get it budge a little She'l come clean, then spray it and work it over good.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sure you don't have the Selec-trac 242 transfer case rather than the Command-trac 231 TC? Reason I ask, is the Command-trac doesn't have PT Hi 4WD but the 242 does like mentioned in the below thread.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...=1#post2816587

Regardless, they'd both be the same for shifting into 2WD. Besides the different 4WD/shifting patterns there's a red tag on the back of your TC which states what model/number it is.

Also agree on lubing all your linkage up and make sure one of the end bushings hasn't come out locking it in place. Good luck again. Lol.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

Hi Uni! Thanks for looking over here at my new thread. I consider you my Jeeply mentor so I hesitate to differ with you in any way. Thanks for referring me to that fascinating thread on the T-case breakdowns. Got_Yogurt calls it "4 High" with the 231 case(Command-Trac) but my owner's manual and shifter bezel call it "4 Part-time". He states under the 242 "Select Trac" heading: "In 4 Part-Time the center differential is locked into a 50/50 split. This is the same as "4 High" on the NP231". I'm pretty sure I have a 231 case. Anyway, I'm going to take a hard look at all that linkage! This thing runs like a beast and with all the snow we a currently getting it's not so bad it's stuck in 4 high/part-time for now, LOL.
Unread 02-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

No problem dodge and I'm not all that familiar with the 231 TC. I don't take anything I read on the internet as the gospel but it's my understanding the 231 TC shifter bezel would have 2WD, 4 Hi & 4 Lo on it. If it would be the 242 Selec-trac just don't drive it on dry pavement if in PT 4WD since you're correct the axles are locked! Really bad for it especially when making turns.

Below is a great TC swap thread and look at the 5th photo which shows the bearing coming out on the linkage I mentioned as a bushing. Not sure if this is the exactly the same as yours?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-np242-685644/

I thought I had posted in one of your other threads on how to get a build sheet for your ZJ? If not fill out the below form and in the subject box type in, "Request for build sheet". Within a couple days they'll email you a build sheet listing exactly what came on your ZJ from the factory. Once you have this info plug it into your profile which will help us to help you. Good luck.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U

Unread 02-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

From Uni: I thought I had posted in one of your other threads on how to get a build sheet for your ZJ? If not fill out the below form and in the subject box type in, "Request for build sheet". Within a couple days they'll email you a build sheet listing exactly what came on your ZJ from the factory. Once you have this info plug it into your profile which will help us to help you. Good luck.

I did all of that and got my build sheet just as you said, VERY COOL. Indeed it has a Command Trac case. I thought I had updated my profile with info from that BS. I'll take another look at that.
Unread 02-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

Yes----all my Build Sheet info is included under Jeep History.
Unread 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Minndave13
1997 ZJ 

I recently swapped transfer cases and found some things you should check. When I got the "newer" transfer case I bought everything for the change over. I got the transfer case, shift linkage, new bezel, and even the shift handle. When I started the change I found out that the new shift handle would not move. I think it rusted up and "froze" in place. I would try taking your linkage off- even clean it up so you can adjust it. But I would check to see that your shift handle does indeed move forward and back. You may have a rusted shift handle and just have to replace that. I would also make sure that the transfer case does indeed move also while you are there. Goodluck.
Minndave13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemahal View Post
From Uni: I thought I had posted in one of your other threads on how to get a build sheet for your ZJ? If not fill out the below form and in the subject box type in, "Request for build sheet". Within a couple days they'll email you a build sheet listing exactly what came on your ZJ from the factory. Once you have this info plug it into your profile which will help us to help you. Good luck.

I did all of that and got my build sheet just as you said, VERY COOL. Indeed it has a Command Trac case. I thought I had updated my profile with info from that BS. I'll take another look at that.

Ahh..thought you did and I didn't look at your whole profile close enough.

And I was looking around for photos of the 231 bezel and found this for the XJ. Guess you're right it does have PT labeled on the bezel. My batting stats are going down today! Lol.

Unread 02-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

That's okay Uni. You're still Stan Musial(Cardinals) in my book. You know a lot about these Jeeps and that's obvious......I've learned a ton from you and others on here.....a great community.

Gonna have to wait. Colder than shlitt and lots-o-snow on the ground......I'm Chompin at the bit to get after it though. It'll be fun to drive. Am I right?
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks dodge and must have been half asleep yesterday! Lol.

Colder than he11 here too and where I am it was the state low this morning for Ohio at -19! Know there's others on here where it's a lot colder but still that's cold!

Fun to drive is right! But a lot funnier than sitting on my open lawn tractor today while plowing 4" of fresh snow off my 800' steep/windy gravel drive! If I don't plow it then it will just turn into a packed down ice glacier which even 4WD doesn't like.

Unread 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

-19 degrees! Wow......I won't complain anymore. 800 feet! Wow! Mine's only 300' and flat.....I won't complain anymore. Ha.

Thanks for that Minndave. Sounds like a good strategy that I will follow. Question: can I get to the shifter handle from below or will I need to remove the console?
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
dodgemahal
1995 ZJ 

Bingo. Got a good look at it today and despite the weather I could see that the torque shaft was/looked rusted tight into the frame bracket. Other linkage ends may be suffering the same fate. I'll follow eliminator's cue and start rapping them there parts with a pipe, after liberal squirts of Aerokroil.
Unread 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
Minndave13
1997 ZJ 

At this point I would remove the linkage, clean them up, grease and lubricate them. With the linkages off you should be able to "lift" up or "pull" the shift handle and it should move freely. If it does not, then that is a problem. If you need to remove the handle from the Jeep you will need to remove the center console and remove it from the interior of the Jeep. Like stated earlier- while you have all of this apart- see if you can move the linkage on the transfer case. If you can move the lever on the transfer case then you know the problem is in the shift linkage somewhere. While down there also lubricate everything up- you will be thankful you did the next time if you have to do some work in this area.
Minndave13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.