Can someone help me figured out what a couple things on my ZJ are? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can someone help me figured out what a couple things on my ZJ are?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Can someone help me figured out what a couple things on my ZJ are?

Good day all.

98 GC Laredo 4.0 249J 198xxx miles

Got a few things that im not sure what they are and I was hoping someone could help me pinpoint them. Been searching on here for a few days and figured a bunch out, but not these.

Recently had both motor mounts, trans mounts, and exhaust manifold replaced. puttering around under the hood yesterday, and seen this:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...ps48ba6a87.jpg

circled the part in red, I think its for the fuel line under the intake manifold. I seem to remember it having 2 bolts before the repairs.

Next is a clip. Wasnt dangling prior to the repairs. It is "tethered" to the fuel line going up to the rail:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...psb81c58a3.jpg

really wish I knew where this went and how it attaches. It looks important.

Next up is a vacuum line. looks like it goes somewhere down by the front diff or maybe the tcase. Havent traced it while under the jeep yet. Heres a few pics of it, poorly traced in yellow. The end im holding is zip tied to the plastic line from the purge valve to the intake manifold:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...ps22ae3135.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3fc8ba3b.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...psb8c9951d.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ed0af1b.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...psa9659300.jpg

Next this tiny bit of hose, between the plastic line from the purge canister to the intake manifold, circled in red. Does it have a name or is it just generic hose? It was cut to remove from the intake apparently:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...psa9659300.jpg

And finally a plug on my liftgate. In the same cluster as the plug that goes to the switch for opening the glass which apparently has no reason for being plugged in, but I did anyway. Its a 2 hole plug, with no apparent female end that i can find:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...psd23d1108.jpg

Thanks you all so much in advance for any insight you can offer.

marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

The 1st pic, the bolt fell out or was never put back in. It's just a mounting bracket for the fuel line. Put in another bolt.
The 2nd, it clips onto the fuel line where the "quick" connect is. Not totally necessary, but I think it's supposed to be a safety catch in case it tries to disconnect.
The vacuum line looks like the front axle breather tube. If it is, just zip tie it up high, wherever you want.
The tiny bit of hose is just that, it's a splice.
I've only been inside my liftgate briefly, but that looks like the plug that goes to the microswitch. Someone else should be able to give a better explanation.
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is that the plug that detects if the lift gate glass is ajar on the VIC? That is known to drain the battery when it goes bad so perhaps that's why it's not hooked up. I was in my lift gate recently and I found mine unplugged as well so I just left it.
I don't see anything wrong with the motor mounts from the pics.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
The 1st pic, the bolt fell out or was never put back in. It's just a mounting bracket for the fuel line. Put in another bolt.
The 2nd, it clips onto the fuel line where the "quick" connect is. Not totally necessary, but I think it's supposed to be a safety catch in case it tries to disconnect.
The vacuum line looks like the front axle breather tube. If it is, just zip tie it up high, wherever you want.
The tiny bit of hose is just that, it's a splice.
I've only been inside my liftgate briefly, but that looks like the plug that goes to the microswitch. Someone else should be able to give a better explanation.
Thank you so much!!!!

After looking through my haynes manual, and some more searching here, i found a couple, albeit small, pics that showed that same clip on the quick connect as you said. Ill be fixing that momentarily.

Once i decipher that bolt size ill replace it. Currently the breather tube sits under my airbox. Ill move it to a better location, at least i feel better that its not supposed to connect to anything.
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Is that the plug that detects if the lift gate glass is ajar on the VIC? That is known to drain the battery when it goes bad so perhaps that's why it's not hooked up. I was in my lift gate recently and I found mine unplugged as well so I just left it.
I don't see anything wrong with the motor mounts from the pics.
At first i thought the same thing. Then i found a 3 hole plug that fit into the lift glass latch/sensor. This is a different plug altogether.

I only have the GDM, not VIC. Not sure if that matters. Although i have noticed by the dash guage, my voltage aint as high as usual since plugging that in so ill be taking that out here in a few. Thanks for that tip Polka!!!

I havent owned this jeep long, and as i been fixing, and learning, and reading, and wrenching she is slowly getting better and better.

Bought her at the end of jan and she was barely running, now she does pretty dang good.
Unread 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Just take the other bolt out, take it to the hardware/parts store, and match up the threads to a new bolt. Some places have a display that you can thread in a nut or bolt to get the right size.
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
MeanZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marduksenforcer View Post
Thank you so much!!!!

After looking through my haynes manual, and some more searching here, i found a couple, albeit small, pics that showed that same clip on the quick connect as you said. Ill be fixing that momentarily.

Once i decipher that bolt size ill replace it. Currently the breather tube sits under my airbox. Ill move it to a better location, at least i feel better that its not supposed to connect to anything.
My part number guide shows that bracket uses M8-1.25x15mm bolts. It also shows how the clip attaches to the fuel line for you.
14-310.jpg  
MeanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

May I ask who did all the work on your Jeep ? If they cut lines like that and didn't install bolts back, and didn't hook up that safety clip back to your fuel line.. I would bring it back... makes you wonder what else they half assed as far as installing the engine mounts and exhaust goes....
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyma[CENTER
[/CENTER]ncan;22327673]May I ask who did all the work on your Jeep ? If they cut lines like that and didn't install bolts back, and didn't hook up that safety clip back to your fuel line.. I would bring it back... makes you wonder what else they half assed as far as installing the engine mounts and exhaust goes....
Prepare to give me a scolding.....

Midas. I chose them initialy to do my muffler/cat, (as they appeared, and sounded to be the original equipment), since they gave me the best quote for the job. Also had them do the serp belt and got a free oil change out of it. (Big whup i know)

The guy that did that work was a cj/j10 guy so i figured maybe id be allright. Im new to the area i live in so not at all familiar with local shops. And that work came out fine.

Between that and the fact they would let me bring in my own parts(i can get parts at auto zone wicked cheap, due to a cash back thing with my credit union) and just charge labor. Plus they did(supposedly according to the fsm) 7.4 hours worth of work but only charged for 5.

I have an appointment for may 3rd for ball joints but idk if im going back
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

time for a little thread revival! I figured why make a whole new thread, when I already got this one here.

Today I gutted the majority of my interior for a major clean up. After removing everything in the cargo area, and then everything in the rear seat area, I came across a couple things, that I want to know what they are, and where they go/what they do.

First this little black box:

Second, these wires:

Thanks again everyone

-AJ
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Black box is an ABS Acceleration Switch - basically an accelerometer, it's OEM.

The wires going through the sheetmetal don't look factory. Where do they lead to?
Edit: On second look they do look factory, but I'm having difficulty figuring out where in the vehicle that picture was taken.
Unread 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Looks like the t-case position wires?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #13
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

The wires were under the driver side rear seat, kinda near where the amp would be if you had one. Not sure where they go, I couldnt crawl under yesterday as I messed my back pretty bad.

-AJ
Unread 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Pretty sure those are the ABS wheel speed sensors
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
monte350
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Pretty sure those are the ABS wheel speed sensors
you are correct, sir!
monte350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.