Can some one tell me about front rotors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can some one tell me about front rotors?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Can some one tell me about front rotors?

I just brought my 1995 5.2 Orvis in to Midas because I'm getting some shuddering when I brake and I can hear a rubbing sound coming from the brakes. They wanted over a $1000 to do the job and $560 to do just the front. I can't afford that so I'm gona have a buddy help me out. Is there any brake issue nightmares that I need to know about on the 95s? My friend is concerned we may need special tools to get the rotors off especially the front because of the 4wd hubs and everything. I guess Im gona do new rotors calipers and pads all the way around. Anything else I need to worry about or should know when doing a brake job on a 1995 awd 5.2L Jeep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Also how do I find out whether the calipers I have are Phenolic or metal? thanks

Last edited by jeeponthebeach; 04-12-2011 at 05:08 PM..
jeeponthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Holy crap thats allot.

but your in luck, a brake job doesn't get any easier than on our jeeps, all you need to do it, take off the wheel, un bolt the calliper just a standard 15mm i believe, push the piston back in, stick the new pads in, slide off the old rotor, make sure you clean the new rotor well before you slide it on, bolt the calliper back on, and then put the wheel on.

Rotors will run about 70 each and another 70 ish for good pads.
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Ummm, you do know Midas is the #1 chain for price gouging.....dontcha? Does not matter if you're in boise or miami, it's $1000-2500 to drive any car out of a Midas if the problem has anything to do with brakes or a front end rebuild. They are FAMOUS for making a $300 problem into a total frontend rebuild or total brake system replacement.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
Holy crap thats allot.

but your in luck, a brake job doesn't get any easier than on our jeeps, all you need to do it, take off the wheel, un bolt the calliper just a standard 15mm i believe, push the piston back in, stick the new pads in, slide off the old rotor, make sure you clean the new rotor well before you slide it on, bolt the calliper back on, and then put the wheel on.

Rotors will run about 70 each and another 70 ish for good pads.
this is right on. its a REALLY easy job. the caliper bolt is a 13mm if factory. use something like a small piece of wood, or the old pad to protect the piston and use a c clamp to compress it and force the fluid back in. this will allow the new pads (more material and fatter) to clear the rotor.

i rebuild my entire front end brake parts for about 180.
40 per rotor
35 per caliper
30 for pads
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Thanks a lot guys. I nearly crapped my pants when they told me the price. Luckily I had a free inspection coupon. I think I'm just going to do the fronts first. So no special tools to take off the front wheel rotors even though is AWD? I could tell my friend was willing to help if it was going to be relatively easy. He sounded vary wary of all kinds of difficulties dealing with the full time 4wd components though. I guess the phenolic piston calipers were oem and metal are optional?

Last edited by jeeponthebeach; 04-12-2011 at 05:44 PM..
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

There is nothing special about the awd when it comes to brakes. Same exact method of replacement as the average front wheel drive econocar.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

no special tools at all. everything you need is lug wrench, 13mm socket or wrench, c clamp, screwdriver to get the pads out. thats it

when you take off the wheel and caliper the rotor will literally fall off. its held against the hub on by the wheel.
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Don't cut corners on the pads. Buy top of the line such as Hawk HPS. They make a huge difference in braking power. Stock rotors can be had for $50 or even less. Calipers can usually be re-used but they can also be had for like $30 after returning your old ones for the core charge.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Brakes are one of the easier repairs to do yourself. You might want to invest in a Haynes Manual; they're fairly cheap ($ 20-30), explain a lot, and even if you decide to let a shop do the repairs, you'll have a idea what's involved, so you don't get hosed.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

If you've never worked on a car before, this is a great place to start. Get a Haynes manual and go to town. It's one of the simplest things to do. A grand for a brake job!!! I've heard they grow some good stuff in Hawaii. But, Dam, what have these guys been smoking! I don't care if you have to replace everything. After doing it yourself, I'd contact your local Better Business Bureau and report them.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

you should also get some brake fluid test strips, to make sure your fluid is still usable.
and if not its also pretty easy to change out.

as someone said, you could always get a haynes, its a really straight forward job, but it might give you more confidence having the step by step and pictures.
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #12
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Also, just to show you how much Midas rips people off. About 10 years ago, my friend took his wrangler to fix an exhaust leak (the pipe to the header needed to get welded). The job was only going to cost 100 bucks. That didn't seem bad. While they had the Jeep, they called him and asked if he wanted them to do the cap rotor and wires. He told them he'd have to call them back. Then he called me and asked if the price they quoted sounded like allot. Well, it was. They wanted 145 dollars for the cap rotor and wires. Mind you, that's not installed. That's just the cost of the parts. He called them right back and told them he didn't want it done. They then tried to claim he said to do it. He argued with them and they agreed to just charge him labor (as they already threw out the old parts). I drove him to pick it up and when we popped the hood, the old wires were on. Went back inside and they claimed that it was a mistake and the guy behind the desk only thought it was already done. After giving him a refund we headed out. The next day, the pipe they were supposed to have fixed, fell off! They didn't weld anything, they just put a clamp on it. Had to take it back again. This time we both sat and watched them weld it up. I will never go to, or suggest anyone else go to Midas. Midas; Morons, Idiots, Dumb As Suckers.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
melk
1996 ZJ 

Do it yourself. Very easy as everyone had said and it's a great project to learn and build confidence in your skills.

Don't buy cheap pads. HUGE difference when you shell out a few extra bucks for the good stuff.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
jeeponthebeach
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm defiantly gona give this a shot. I never really worked on brakes and didn't want to mess anything up. I have a chiltons manual but it's not the clearest thing to understand and everyone on here always recommends the Haynes so I'll probably pick one up. I found rotors for around $40 and I was going to just get the cheapest pads available but now I think I'll get the metal ceramic ones that were a bit more pricey. Thanks again guys.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
doomi
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
no special tools at all. everything you need is lug wrench, 13mm socket or wrench, c clamp, screwdriver to get the pads out. thats it

when you take off the wheel and caliper the rotor will literally fall off. its held against the hub on by the wheel.
Not always, two of mine were nearly fused to the hub... not that it makes it any more difficult. Soak with a penetrating spray and beat the crap out of the old rotor until it falls off and you are good to go.
doomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.