Can Idling Cause Over-Heating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can Idling Cause Over-Heating?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-01-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
bighead113

Can Idling Cause Over-Heating?

Since tonight was a very cold night, I went to go pick up a friend and me and my gf had both heated seats on, the rear defroster on, and the front defroster on high, and we had to wait there in idle for about 25-30 minutes, then the "check guages" light came on, and it overheated, with smoke pouring out, and the coolant boiling....

So, I guess my question, is, what is my best option?

1. Take the truck in to the shop immediately (it has a warranty)
2. Fill up lost coolant, take truck in Saturday (when I have more time)
3. Re-fill, dont worry about it, and dont let it see in idle that long again?

Thanks...

bighead113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 01:19 AM   #2
whitevette

Your cooling system is tired and worn down. You should be able to idle until you run out of gas and not experience any overheating.

Take it to a shop. Make sure they flow test your radiator. I'd bet it's clogged from old coolant letting it rust internally and clog.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 06:16 AM   #3
93JGCV8

also you might want to check out your fan clutch if the overheating problem is only at idle.
93JGCV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2003, 06:46 AM   #4
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead113
Since tonight was a very cold night, I went to go pick up a friend and me and my gf had both heated seats on, the rear defroster on, and the front defroster on high, and we had to wait there in idle for about 25-30 minutes, then the "check guages" light came on, and it overheated, with smoke pouring out, and the coolant boiling....

So, I guess my question, is, what is my best option?

1. Take the truck in to the shop immediately (it has a warranty)
2. Fill up lost coolant, take truck in Saturday (when I have more time)
3. Re-fill, dont worry about it, and dont let it see in idle that long again?

Thanks...
You will probably hear noise from a defect fan clutch, and they tend to get jamed when worn out. As suggested, the engine should be able to run for weeks on idle without overheating. If you have an I6, then you should have (at least in Europe) two fans, where one is driven by electric motor. The thermostate engaging this motor can fail, or bad el. connectin makes it fail. Fill up system as required with proper coolant. Warranty? Go to dealer on Saturday, and don't run on idle until then. V8? Belt driven fan via clutch on 5,8L. Aslo clogged radiator a very possible reason. Again, something that should be a warranty issue.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
jeepjeepers

Had the same problem awhile ago and the dealer replaced the fan clutch. Haven't had any problems since.
jeepjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.