Can I trust a 130 4.0 on a 1000 mile trip?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can I trust a 130 4.0 on a 1000 mile trip??

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitypunk View Post
ya know i kinda agree..

but if he wants to buy a car.. let him... the fact that he wants to get a beater jeap with a brand new engine is sweeat, that'd be an awsome car to restore!

lol

lol
Yeah I don't know. I might really like the car and want to fix it up. I don't know. I have driven my buddys 02 Grand Cherokee and I really like it. Its comfortable as hell.

sidescrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #17
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I think it'd make more sense to spend twice what they're asking for that and get something that's not so beat up it will be an endless can of worms to repair. A $2000 GC even. I think that'd be more than sufficient. Trying to get something for $750 and thinking of taking it a long distance isn't realistic. You might get lucky though. The 4.0's seem to take a lot. I think the drivetrain is pretty sound. If it's rusty though, that might be a concern. I guess you can't know until you see it.

Inside with the rear seats down you'd be able to fit the dogs, but with the seat bottoms left in you would only be able to half fold the backs down. You'll have to haul the seat bottoms in the Uhaul or something if you want to pull them completely. That'd give you room for the two big dogs, and you might fit a bit otherwise, but the spare tire has nowhere else to go. With two danes in back, I don't think you'd have a lot of room to spare for other stuff.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #18
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I think it'd make more sense to spend twice what they're asking for that and get something that's not so beat up it will be an endless can of worms to repair. A $2000 GC even. I think that'd be more than sufficient. Trying to get something for $750 and thinking of taking it a long distance isn't realistic. You might get lucky though. The 4.0's seem to take a lot. I think the drivetrain is pretty sound. If it's rusty though, that might be a concern. I guess you can't know until you see it.

Inside with the rear seats down you'd be able to fit the dogs, but with the seat bottoms left in you would only be able to half fold the backs down. You'll have to haul the seat bottoms in the Uhaul or something if you want to pull them completely. That'd give you room for the two big dogs, and you might fit a bit otherwise, but the spare tire has nowhere else to go. With two danes in back, I don't think you'd have a lot of room to spare for other stuff.
Oh yeah I know. Its purely transport.any bags or anything will go in the uhaul because its a one day trip.
Btw Its 3 danes, not Two lol.

The problem with getting a 2k jeep which I agree would be better is a few different things. First the people interested in the Bimmer are giving me 1500 for it. Secondly is this place is pretty small so there are less people and therefore less vehicles. What is really annoying is almost noone lists their vehicles for sale on any websites. So me and my dad have to cruise around spotting random cars with signs on them or leaving notes to ask if they want to sell. We were out for 1 1/2 or 2 hours today looking. So yeah while it may be a good idea to utilize all the funds on the car, I can't really be picky. And if this jeep just doesn't cost much because she doesn't use it, isn't fond of it, and likes it even less because it needs to be cleaned, then maybe I am just in for a good deal.
I am really into the fact the 4.0 only has 50k miles on it. But I really won't know till I see it. Right now I am just waiting to find out how bad the rust is gonna be.

I had a f250 with a camper top lined up for 500 dollars. We went to see it today and it had some really bad rocker rust. We'll be on the hunt tomorrow though, and this time I will have my eyes out for ZJs to now that I am pretty sure they fit my needs.
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #19
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

3 danes. This is what I get for responding when I'm tired. It is 3am now where I am. I would still consider something a bit higher than $750. The condition of a Jeep in your area for that price doesn't seem great. Also, have you tried looking in the newspaper? That and the Thrifty Nickel? Those are better ways of finding cars for sale than just cruising the streets. Best of luck.

Also, don't trust everything someone tells you about what they're selling. If this lady seems clueless for the most part and isn't very helpful when you ask questions and want pictures, I wouldn't take her at her word when she says the engine was replaced 50K miles ago. Really look it over closely, drive it hard and see how it does, take it off road at least just in some dirt to try out the transfer case and all. If it can take a real test drive, then it should be worth it. But I'm not going to advise you to get it without a very thorough examination and test drive. Even then, something just sounds squirrelly about it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:09 AM   #20
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
3 danes. This is what I get for responding when I'm tired. It is 3am now where I am. I would still consider something a bit higher than $750. The condition of a Jeep in your area for that price doesn't seem great. Also, have you tried looking in the newspaper? That and the Thrifty Nickel? Those are better ways of finding cars for sale than just cruising the streets. Best of luck.

Also, don't trust everything someone tells you about what they're selling. If this lady seems clueless for the most part and isn't very helpful when you ask questions and want pictures, I wouldn't take her at her word when she says the engine was replaced 50K miles ago. Really look it over closely, drive it hard and see how it does, take it off road at least just in some dirt to try out the transfer case and all. If it can take a real test drive, then it should be worth it. But I'm not going to advise you to get it without a very thorough examination and test drive. Even then, something just sounds squirrelly about it.
Lol yeah , this is what I am talking about. NOONE who is selling a car around here puts it in the newspaper, on Ebay, Craigslist, Autotrader. NOTHING. There are 3 cars on ebay within my area. The most luck I have had is on craigslist.
There are maybe 2 or 3 adds in the paper.
Most cars around here for sale you wouldn't know about unless you saw the car lol.
there is a bronco that was a on craigslist that expired so we are gonna try to track it down tomorrow and also do some more looking up in that area.

I will definitely look it over. I have dealt with people like this before who are totally clueless. If its even worthy of taken for a spin I will definitely get it throw all the gears and see what its got.
Hopefully I see something else tomorrow. I kinda want a jeep to go offroading in but its more about the money and the situation right now so we just gotta go with whatever comes our way.
If we get the jeep i will definitely post it up on here.
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #21
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I just picked up a 1990 Cherokee. It's seen better days. The driver's seat is ripped, half the electronics on it don't work, it belches black smoke worse than George Burns. The leaf springs in the rear go almost flat front to rear they've sagged so much. The brakes are my only real concern with it. Sometimes they feel spongy, sometimes they're as hard as a rock.

If I got my brakes up to par I'd have no issues at all taking this thing from Seattle to Miami. None at all. Even if the engine in the one you're looking at is original and hasn't been changed, it'll make the trip. These 4.0's are bullet proof. To the point they're STILL putting them in Jeeps. That should tell you something if the basic design of the engine hasn't been changed since they had carburetors sitting on top of them. They are reliable. Maybe not that efficient, but they are reliable.

I'd be willing to bet the rest of the Jeep rots off the axles before that drive train quits working.

Just keep a couple gallons of water on hand in case it tries to overheat on you, a couple quarts of oil handy, and see if you can pick up a cheap air compressor from Harbor Freight or something to keep the tires happy. And as for it needing tires? So? Wally World specials. You don't need Gumbo Monster Mudders for a cross country drive. You need street tires. Walmart sells them cheap. And they're warrantied across the nation in almost every town you drive through. Even if you don't like the tires, they'll get you there with a guaranteed piece of mind.

Just go through and change all fluids before the drive. Transmission, transfer case, both differentials, engine oil and filter. Do a tune up on it as well. Yes, you'll probably spend upwards of $200 doing all that, but that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a 100 mile towing fee and repairs in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere while you're still paying by the day on the U-haul...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidescrollin View Post
Sorry to go off and keep asking different questions, but you don't haaave to answer so I guess if anyone is nice enough thats great for me and them.

The drivers door doesn't lock. Is this something common that anyone can pin the problem on just off the top of their head? It could just be specific to the vehicle but I didn't know if it was common with the ZJ or if there is a particular motor or part that sometimes fails.
the door lock not working could be a broken wire in the driver side door jamb. If is fairly common and you should still be able to lock it with the key or from the inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #23
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

amtrak does go to the keys, don't buy such an iffy jeep before a critical trip.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Well at least i know I can look at these cars while we are searching.

This lady is being a total ***** and acts like she knows nothing about the car.
She tolds me every tire has a different amount of wear, which is retarded. She described "cleaning" as there being dirt inside because the a/c doesn't work and leaves everywhere.

She said there was rust but not where or how severe. It sounds like a total POS, not a beat, just a money sucker. I am not gonna get it because I will end up investing 2k just to get to it run and look like a car I could get for 2k to begin with.
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #25
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

My GC was $4000 and clean and still needed soooooo much stuff fixed and still does. I love my GC but I would never buy a beater one. Jeeps are not really known for reliability, rent a minivan for a day.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ-Orvis View Post
My GC was $4000 and clean and still needed soooooo much stuff fixed and still does. I love my GC but I would never buy a beater one. Jeeps are not really known for reliability, rent a minivan for a day.
Lol, still need a car where we will live.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

130k miles on a 4.0 is just barely broken in. It will go over 400k if taken care of.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

We are talking about 3 Great Danes and I don't think that they would enjoy a thousand miles cramped, confined and unable to stand up straight in the back of a jeep ...

I liked the minivan idea and I was thinking, that if your car or the Uhaul has a trailer hitch then buy a used single horse trailer ... We are talking Great Danes here ... Buy a jeep later in Atlanta where there are way less rust issues to deal with usually ...
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #29
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Nobody can tell you if that particular Jeep can make that run without a physical inspection.
It all depends on it's history.
A well cared for 4.0 can easily go 250k or more (BTW, in reference to you're earlier post, it's not a V6, it's an I6).
But, if they didn't take care of it, it could crap out any time.
Have it fully inspected, including a compression test. Check the condition and change all fluids.
If I knew the Jeep was in good shape, I would have no pause in taking it 1k miles. I just took my 150k Jeep on an 800 mile trip, and will do the same trip in a couple weeks without a second thought.

I have a 93 4.0 (130k) and a 98 5.2 (151k), both of which I know are well cared for, niether of which I would give a second to driving 1k miles. Well mabe not the 93, cause it got slammed, and the unibody is tweaked, pulls left, and the tires are worn, but I know mechanically it would make it.

As with any vehicle, it all boils down to how it was cared for by it's previous owners.
100k on a well cared for vehicle is not the the same as 100k on a neglected vehicle...
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Nobody can tell you if that particular Jeep can make that run without a physical inspection.
It all depends on it's history.
A well cared for 4.0 can easily go 250k or more (BTW, in reference to you're earlier post, it's not a V6, it's an I6).
But, if they didn't take care of it, it could crap out any time.
Have it fully inspected, including a compression test. Check the condition and change all fluids.
If I knew the Jeep was in good shape, I would have no pause in taking it 1k miles. I just took my 150k Jeep on an 800 mile trip, and will do the same trip in a couple weeks without a second thought.

I have a 93 4.0 (130k) and a 98 5.2 (151k), both of which I know are well cared for, niether of which I would give a second to driving 1k miles. Well mabe not the 93, cause it got slammed, and the unibody is tweaked, pulls left, and the tires are worn, but I know mechanically it would make it.

As with any vehicle, it all boils down to how it was cared for by it's previous owners.
100k on a well cared for vehicle is not the the same as 100k on a neglected vehicle...
I know its an i6.I think the drivetrain is probably good but from the sound of it it probably has bad cancer and I decided to not buy that particular one. I am including them in my search right now but I am not gonna buy that one. Plus she told me she is selling it for a friend of some bs so she doesn't know enough about it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.