Can I trust a 130 4.0 on a 1000 mile trip?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can I trust a 130 4.0 on a 1000 mile trip??

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Can I trust a 130 4.0 on a 1000 mile trip??

I am trying to find cars I can buy to haul my 3 great danes in when I move 1000 miles away in a few weeks. It needs to run for a good 14-18 hours straight.

Can the 4.0s do this. While I have owned a BMW with a bullet proof 6 I am still not a big 6 cylinder guy. I am more than willing to accept it because its an Inline. I am REALLY not a big V6 guy.
so are there owners here who can testify and believe a 93 Zj can make the journey.

So far the lady I message seems like an idiot because of her ridiculous grammar but hopefully the car is decent. She refused to send me pics So I have to go into town to check it out I suppose.
Its a 93 Grand Cherokee with 132k miles on it. She says it has rust, the leather seats are a bit torn up, the inside is really dirty, it needs new tires and brakes, and that the Radio doesn't work.

Depending on the rust and depending on the tires and REALLY depending on if my dogs can fit in it $750 dollars is a good pricetag.

So whatta you guys think. Can a 6 cylinder thats lived its life in a coastal area make a 15 hour drive??
I have another thread requesting how much room is in the back for the doggies but its still unanswered.
THANKS.

EDIT: Not sure on this but it supposedly has had a new engine which only has 50k miles on it. The rest is 132k.
Also its a limited, what does this mean besides interior, trim, and wheels? anything?

sidescrollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

If it was well maintained I would say you would have no problems. But it sounds like it was not well maintained.

As for putting 3 large dogs in back, I think you could if you fold down the seats and don't have much else in back

a limited is a like a package. Limiteds usually have nicer seats, painted paneling, sometimes a better radio and automatic temperature control (you set a temperature rather than a hot/cold rotation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
unitypunk
1996 ZJ 

man that sounds like a killer adventure.

i would do it.. but have some one drive behind me. just in case... or say screw it, and bring parts

PS: i would trust my 96 ZJ on a 1k trip, it has way more miles, but has had regular maintnence and love
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

i did 800 miles in an XJ 4.0 W/ 220K on it.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
If it was well maintained I would say you would have no problems. But it sounds like it was not well maintained.

As for putting 3 large dogs in back, I think you could if you fold down the seats and don't have much else in back

a limited is a like a package. Limiteds usually have nicer seats, painted paneling, sometimes a better radio and automatic temperature control (you set a temperature rather than a hot/cold rotation)
yeah I made a thread asking for pics with the seat down or dimensions with the seat down so I know if I cant buy the car.

Temperature control sounds nice, i am still waiting for her to reply back to see if the a/c is working in it.
The Radio isn't but I have a nice Alpine unit from my old Tahoe.
I don't think it was well maintained but we'll see. I think I trust the engine, it only has 50k after all. My major concern is rust right now and the fact she said it needs new tires soon. Wtf does that mean? Come on be more descriptive.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitypunk View Post
man that sounds like a killer adventure.

i would do it.. but have some one drive behind me. just in case... or say screw it, and bring parts

PS: i would trust my 96 ZJ on a 1k trip, it has way more miles, but has had regular maintnence and love
I will probably be driving behind because my dad with drive the 26 foot uhaul and I can easily get ahead if I were in front.

We will have plenty of tools in case of a break down. I am just not familiar with new jeeps or new chrysler anything for that matter.
also what determines if the Spare is in the back? The trim or just an option. Because I really need to tire under the car or on the back.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
i did 800 miles in an XJ 4.0 W/ 220K on it.
thanks for sharing thats really reassuring!!!

It would probably easier to get a XJ, my dad won't buy one though because my uncle got T boned in one, the car rolled and got cut in half and he almost died. So yeah hes not too into them.
Same engine though and thats all I care about.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Are there any problems specific to these cars I should look out for. Any particular spots they have issues with rust?
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
jcool1985

You will probably be ok but I would be worried as to why the engine had to be replaced so early in its life. She must of not changed the oil or ran it hot or something. Sure an engine can go bad at that mileage but it is kinda rare these days. So she must of abused it in some way. I would also be worried because the transmission, transfer case, and the rest of the drivetrain has probably been abused. Plus I am sure the fluids are really dirty and need changing if she never even cleaned the jeep I doubt she did much maintenance to it. I would be cautious on that deal.
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcool1985 View Post
You will probably be ok but I would be worried as to why the engine had to be replaced so early in its life. She must of not changed the oil or ran it hot or something. Sure an engine can go bad at that mileage but it is kinda rare these days. So she must of abused it in some way. I would also be worried because the transmission, transfer case, and the rest of the drivetrain has probably been abused. Plus I am sure the fluids are really dirty and need changing if she never even cleaned the jeep I doubt she did much maintenance to it. I would be cautious on that deal.
yeah, I'll definitely go about it thoroughly.

Hopefully if its not to bad I can get it and it can be saved. I'll sell it in Atlanta where it won't rust and someone who truly loves it can go offroading.
The only offroading in the Keys is into the water.
Which believe me is really fun, but not fitting for this kind of car.
Hopefully if I can fit the dogs in it it isn't too far gone.
I'll ask her why the engine was replaced. Shes kinda being an *** and wouldn't make any more pics and told me to come look at it.
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Sorry to go off and keep asking different questions, but you don't haaave to answer so I guess if anyone is nice enough thats great for me and them.

The drivers door doesn't lock. Is this something common that anyone can pin the problem on just off the top of their head? It could just be specific to the vehicle but I didn't know if it was common with the ZJ or if there is a particular motor or part that sometimes fails.
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #12
unitypunk
1996 ZJ 

my zj used to do 600-700 mmiles to sanjose and backpretty much once a month for quite a few years (probably around 200k miles on it at that point.)
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #13
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dude... put the dogs in the Uhaul. Or on an airplane. Or on a train.

For that matter... why don't you already own something to drive those monsters around in?

It's INSANE to buy a beater just before a long critical trip and hope it'll make it without being ready to spend huge bucks on it. Hell, the brake repair and tags alone will cost more than putting yourself and the dogs on a train to your new home.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #14
unitypunk
1996 ZJ 

ya know i kinda agree..

but if he wants to buy a car.. let him... the fact that he wants to get a beater jeap with a brand new engine is sweeat, that'd be an awsome car to restore!

lol

lol
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #15
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Dude... put the dogs in the Uhaul. Or on an airplane. Or on a train.

For that matter... why don't you already own something to drive those monsters around in?

It's INSANE to buy a beater just before a long critical trip and hope it'll make it without being ready to spend huge bucks on it. Hell, the brake repair and tags alone will cost more than putting yourself and the dogs on a train to your new home.
I can afford a 750 dollar cheap so your propose I buy plane tickets?? naaahh.
A train?? Lol there is no train in the Florida keys.
The Uhaul is hauling lol. Its gonna have everything we own including the M38 inside it. No room for the dogs, no air for the dogs, and its not safe.
We HAVE had a car this whole time.
Most of our family is where we are moving to. We make a trip up there every christmas.
Last christmas I drove my Tahoe with all our stuff in it while following my dad in his bronco with the Dogs in it.
While we were up there the Tahoe blew a head gasket, we traded it to my uncle for his BMW and he fixed it later on.
The bronco has Two bad Diffs and a ban Transmission which is also leaking. It can make it back and forth to work but will probably only get to miami before either the tranny or rear Diff give out.
We need to move fairly soon for various reasons I am not going to go into. Either way we are desperately trying to get something together to get the dogs in. We have mostly been looking at tahoes, yukons, F150s and f250s with campers on the back. I want to broaden the search though and this Jeep is one of the few cars around here that fits the situation ( I think) that we can afford right now.
I was in a hurry anyway but now I am in even more of a hurry because we finally found a buyer for the BMW but don't have something to replace it with yet.
Hey if its a beater bodywise and interiorwise who cares as long as the drivetrain is strong.
The 90' 325 doesn't look to hot but it made the 1000 mile trip with 180k on the odometer. This was its first realy drive in 7 months. It was our only option though.
I am just trying to open up my options and get some opinions from you guys. From the sound of it as long as the Rust isn't a deal ender this would be a really good car to get for my situation.
If I had a train, or plain tickets, or would put them in storage trailer I wouldn't be hear asking for advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.