Can I Take Out The Infinity Amp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can I Take Out The Infinity Amp?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
supzack
1997 ZJ 

Can I Take Out The Infinity Amp?

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and people have told me that I cannot touch the Infinity amp because I will have a lot of trouble with wiring and I was wondering if I could just get rid of all the speakers and use new ones. I have the Infinity speakers in the font and different speakers in the rear and a different head unit a JVC KD-R520. I want to put in subs and put in Kenwood KFC-G1620 speakers. Would I just have to rewire them to the head unit? Does anyone know if I will have other electrical issues? I just want to know if its as simple as rewiring the speakers.

supzack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
bcbueller
1998 ZJ 

yes you can ,i have a 98 ltd and the amp is under the passenger seat on the drivers side . you CAN reuse the stock wire for the speakers (high level) in and out of the amp but can create engine noise . or rewire the whole with RCA wires and then new wires to the speakers new or stock . Try to dynamat the doors it will make the sound tighten up substantially. I currently have a JBL 5 channel amp under the drivers rear seat with sub in the back and all new speakers. coaxial 6.5 for the rears mid tweet components 6.5 set in the front doors and another set of tweets in the stock dash location
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Winger67
1996 ZJ 

Pin out of the amp connectors. http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/5764

I've seen people just jumper the connector to bypass the factory amp using solid wire jumpers. I have a Kenwood head unit running through the factory amp on my '96. I want to try bypassing the factory amp to see if it makes any difference but so far I haven't had any problems.
Winger67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Why take out the factory amp? Is it broke? I replaced almost all my speakers and wired in a second amp to power my sub and back door speakers. Its not the loudest in my neighbor hood but it bangs pretty good and is plenty loud enough. Plus it was simple as hell.
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Yes. When I redid my Jeeps sounds system I didn't trust the stock writing at 1000w. I ran all new heavy gauge wiring just to make sure everything was done right. Not a bad job, just a pain getting it through the door jams
Unread 12-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

You can rip it out and burn that hunk of scrap if ya truly want but then you'll have to re-run wiring from the radio cubby out to the doors and that will be a fair bit of a PITA to do. I never wanted to bother with that nightmare so I just re-used it. Sounds more than good enough for me, the only limiting factors are the aftermarket speakers rattle.. I need to get the door bass boxes and better speakers, maybe some soundproofing liners as well to finish it up.
Of course if your factory amp is dead, that's another story.. If it were me, I'd just see about replacing it with a junkyard grab(if you could test it to make sure it's good that is)
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

In my experience, once you go aftermarket, go all the way. If you're going to put in a new HU and speakers, you might as well re-wire. You don't want to spend the time and money installing a new HU and speakers only to have it sound like crap because of faulty 15+ year old wiring. As far as the amp, it's not really needed with a new system. And if your going to spend money on a new HU, speakers, sub, why not just get a new amp as well?
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Wise advice pugulis
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Caelanderby088
1995 ZJ 

You can remove the Infinity amp. I own a 95 Zj Limited 318 and the amp caused my complete system to fail. Took it to the shop they ripped out the amp and added a bunch of wiring.
Caelanderby088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
zleehw
1996 ZJ 

rremove amp

can I remove the amp...unpin the wires from the plugs and then connect the appropriate wires to each other....

I am using a inline alpine amp that plugs into the radio and then into the vehicle connectors under the dash....so I don't need the infinity amp under the rear seat.

so I am asking if I unplug the in connector to the amp and unplug the out connector to the amp can I use jumpers or strip and crimp new connectors to get the infinity amp out of line?
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
50notch
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleehw View Post
can I remove the amp...unpin the wires from the plugs and then connect the appropriate wires to each other....
Yes you can.
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
MRKeasal2010
1998 ZJ 

I bypassed it by rewiring the speakers to my aftermarket player. I attached the new speaker cable to the corresponding wires on the harness adapter. Works like a charm! I imagine you could wire in your in line amp in much the same way. It'd save you the headache of going through the amp wiring (like I attempted to do).
MRKeasal2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
zleehw
1996 ZJ 

I found this today - Metra 70-6513 Amplifier Bypass - no cutting, just unplug amp and plug in this abd bam all done. Then I can place my alpine inline dash amp and done.
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
zleehw
1996 ZJ 

Metra 70-6513 jeep grand cherokee 1994-1996 amp bypass wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.