Can i Swap a PCM ? Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Can i Swap a PCM ? Please help

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Can i Swap a PCM ? Please help

1997 Jeep grand cherokee TSI 2wd 164xxx miles auto trans.

I will try to keep things short. Im in need of serious help im suppose to drive from CA to NY in a week. I just drove from South Ca to San Fran with zero issues and now my car has the infamous p0351. I have spent the last week searching / reading and following all other fixes on this forum including zeejays 12 steps before i posted this.
Following the diag steps in all data ( printed from a friend at work) it has led me to replacing the pcm. I have removed / cleaned all sensors related and checked all wiring - all is fine there still i have the occasional stumble and today i had to be towed home and missed work.

My questions is if i buy a pcm used or find one tomorrow at the junk yard on a similar year make and model will it be plug and play or do they need to be reprogrammed if so how do i go about doing that ? I will be removing the pcm in the AM to inspect all pins and try to follow "Infamous Stalling Problem - The REAL fix" posted by InterpreDemon. I have had the jeep for months now with zero issues and now thats its time to take a serious drive back to ny its doing this i need this fixed asap. I would just hate to buy a PCM from " Auto computer exchange " for $300 to find out i still have the issue.

Once again all trouble shooting steps have already been taken and i have used all resources i can find in the search engine. If you would like me to scan the all data diag procedures i will be glad to do so.

Also if anyone has a spare pcm for sale please inbox me or call 917 432 4400

freedom0226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

Does cel come on when u turn the key on I'm going thru a similar struggle. Supposedly if a PCM causes a no start ur cel will not come on for 3 seconds when key is turned on don't know if that work if the vehicle starts or not
Robbie98zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

cant help you with your problem, just wanted to say i wouldnt put my phone number for the whole world to see
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Yes, you can swap PCM's without having them flashed, so long as drivetrain options are the same. The big issue to look out for is getting a PCM out of a Jeep that does NOT have the factory security system. The easiest way to check is to look for wires hooked up to the door lock cylinders. The factory security module will permanently 'register' itself to the PCM, so a PCM installed in a ZJ with the factory security system will need to 'see' the security module in order to start and run the vehicle. As long as you pull a PCM out of a Jeep that does not have the factory security, you can install it in your Jeep without issue regardless of whether or not you have the factory security system.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Replies

Yes i do have a cel light that comes on. Ive read about that.

I dont care who calls me at this point i need to leave to ny in a week and need this fixed. I need pcm r5010381ab

Mines has the anti-theft system. Do the numbers have to match exactly ?
i cant find this one on ebay at all. I feel like im screwed.
And if theres does have anti-theft will it mess up my system if i put the original pcm back in ?
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Yes look for the same numbers. The numbers are a code to the pcm you require. Each number is an identifying code to a option you have including the alarm. Check the jys ebay barely has the one you looking for. but both autozone and advance sell remans. Theres two numbers on it you only need one. I add a dielectric grease to the connection.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
GotMoose
1994 ZJ 

You have 5-6 http://www.picknpull.com/ in east bay close to SF, if you want to try the junk yard way. You can check online which Jeeps and years they have.
GotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Pcm

I do not live in san fran . i just mentioned that i took a road trip there in the jeep. i live in LA county and yes there are pick and pulls out here. i have already visited two of them with no luck. Closest i found was 96 and the pcm was already gone. I tried the zip tye bandade method this morning and im scared to move the jeep now lol.
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
Yes look for the same numbers. The numbers are a code to the pcm you require. Each number is an identifying code to a option you have including the alarm. Check the jys ebay barely has the one you looking for. but both autozone and advance sell remans. Theres two numbers on it you only need one. I add a dielectric grease to the connection.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ecm#fragment-2

check this link this is what im worried about when i look it up they have different model/ serial numbers on the specs page than mines ...
Another thing here is mines already an aftermarket or is this original im seeing way diff numbers on ebay...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well i just went to autozone and purchased a PCM and waiting for it to arrive. in the mean time the zip tye trick seems to be working i have no codes and been driving today with no issues. .........
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

R5010381AB 1997 ZJ BODY 4.0L A4 CAL (NAE)

Your Jeep has California Emissions.

The vast majority of 4,0 97s had security. There is nothing in the part number that would designate the security configuration.

The original PCM is initialized with the security configuration the first time the vehicle is started. Once it is paired with security system, it can only be used in a vehicle with security. If your ZJ has security, your donor must also have security and vice versa.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
R5010381AB 1997 ZJ BODY 4.0L A4 CAL (NAE)

Your Jeep has California Emissions.

The vast majority of 4,0 97s had security. There is nothing in the part number that would designate the security configuration.

The original PCM is initialized with the security configuration the first time the vehicle is started. Once it is paired with security system, it can only be used in a vehicle with security. If your ZJ has security, your donor must also have security and vice versa.
Well let me begin by thanking you. Your zip ty trick worked and i was able to make it to work today and the p0351 is gone. At this point i have already ordered a pcm from autozone and will install it in two days once it arrives. they have a one year warrenty so if it works then money well spent. My only concern is if the new pcm will act up with the security set up you mentioned. They did say its already programmed from the factory and there plug and play.
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
jwebfournow
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same pcm number with the stalling issue, did the zip tie method and have not had any stalling since, that was about 1k miles ago. How do you tell if you have security system or not, I have a key FOB to unlock doors and when I lock the doors with the FOB it chirps, I didn't see anything on the factory build sheet that says it has security.
jwebfournow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

not sure how to answer your question if you try to open the doors without the alarm the horns begins beeping that to me as a security system
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Lock your doors with the key fob, or just the power locks and close all doors. If you have a security light that blinks in your dash, you got securitized!

jwebfournow: sounds like you have aftermarket security. My 95 has never chirped on system arm or disarm.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
Gibby913
1997 ZJ 

I'm swapping my PCM as well.....I need some definitive clarification from folks. I'm hearing some say if your Jeep came with a security enabled PCM you need a matching one with security.....others are saying that the security systems imprint on the PCM and will only run on that specific vehicle so you need to get one without security. These are obviously completely different answers.....which one is correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.