can an exhaust leak cause a misfire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > can an exhaust leak cause a misfire?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
MEinSoCal
1999 WJ 

can an exhaust leak cause a misfire?

CEL came on, and code P0302 showed up -- misfire cylinder #2. i'm aware i do have a crack in my exhaust manifold/header. so i was wondering, could that be the cause of the misfire?

before you suggest, swapping out spark plugs, i've already tried that... twice

Unread 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
doggboy

While it is theoretically plausible, I would highly doubt it. What motor do you have? If it is the 4.7 check the coil (there is one on top of each plug), that could easily cause the problem. If it is the 4.slow check your plug wires, replace or swap the one giving you problems and see what happens. I don't know the missfire code, so it could be alot of things if that would include clogged injectors and such, but off hand the spark would be where I would start.
doggboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
dobe
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it can.
dobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I never got any misfires with my cracked header on my old 4.0L ZJ. I drove it for quite a while with the crack. The misfire is more likely spark or fuel issues. I would change that plug first. If that does not make it go away, then I would change the fuel injector. My money is on the injector.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.