can a 4.0 6cyl. tow another car - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > can a 4.0 6cyl. tow another car

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

can a 4.0 6cyl. tow another car

I am planning a trip to NY from CA and was wondering if my Jeep would make it while towing a compact car on a hitch.or is this to much strain for a six cyl. ? New to Jeeps so just asking before i go buy a tow package.

freedom0226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

If you flat tow,i think you will be ok but,how are you gonna deal with rockies?i think that will be your roughest point
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
LouC
2007 WK 

You want to tow a car across the country with a 16 year old Jeep with a 4.0 Six, right?
On a dolly? Forget it. Have the car shipped. A compact car can weigh up to 3000 lbs and a proper trailer for car hauling is about 1500. There you're up to 4500. On the flat it will pull it but if the trailer brakes do not work perfectly, you will not be able to stop trust me on that. I pulled that much with no trailer brakes with my 98 ZJ a couple of times and its very dangerous. The ZJ brakes cannot stop more than about 1000 lbs in addition to its own weight. Then there's the cooling system and auto trans. Its just NOT a good idea, and I have towed with my 98 a lot, but upgraded many things(shocks, brakes tires, air bags in the rear coils added trailer brakes, etc) to make it safe at towing. My 07 WK Hemi tows the same load effortlessly.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

I'll be going through the bottom of the states so i won't hit rockies.

Yea i guess since its such a far distance i won't chance it.but ima get the tow pack anyway.once i move back to NY and find a good project car i can tow it home.

So conclusion yes it can be done just don't try going cross country.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
HandsOn

If you find one with lower gearing (higher numerically that is) that would make it a lot easier. And on flat-ish ground while maintaining moderate speeds, the power of the engine might get you there in one piece.
But I'd be skeptical of the most important part, as LouC brought up. And that's the brakes. I don't have that kind of experience with them, but it sounds like he does and has not come away impressed.
There might be a reason that the hitch my friend's has on it is the smaller variety. They usually have a max-tow rating of 2500 to 3500 lbs if I'm remembering correctly. But consult the owners manual too, just to see what they're rated at.
The rating might even change with the optional gear ratios.

I don't remember seeing a "heavy-duty brake" option in my travels, but it might exist too.

Good luck either way.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
freedom0226
1997 ZJ 

Yea i decided to not play around and take the ride with no tow. I appreciate the info.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if you had electric brakes on the trailer you would be fine. i dragged a big 69 pontiac on a u haul car trailer (6000lb total) with my ZJ. those trailers just have surge brakes, and it still had no problem stopping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.