Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Came off the jack stands...

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  FPKites 
#1 ·
Ok so as the title suggests i had a close encounter of the ground kind. In the fall my right side caliper cut the extension cord i had run, and the fender slammed into my brick colum. the left side landed on my floor jack at the axle mounting bracket, and this kept the caliper on that side off the ground. I got everything back together and after about 6 hours i got the jeep back on its wheels. torqued everything back down this afternoon after calming down.

now, I took it for a test drive and as suspected i need to replace the caliper, it squeeks. so I am going to do that after work. However going in a straight line i hear a rubber tearing sound, similar to turning to fast?? it goes away in a right hand turn and gets less pronounced in a left hand turn, but its still there. sounds like i need to have an aligment done. Just wondering if you guys had suggestions for other things i need to look into. I will post pictures later when i get them out of my camera.

hopin to get out cheap here

#2 ·
well came isn't a fair description, i pulled it off trying to get the axle forward enough to get the LA into place

#4 ·
i agree with the alignment and then get that 3.5" lift off so I can pick it up!!!

#6 ·
QuadraTokn said:
take this time to upgrade to the 2002+ calipers, and get some stillens from kolak if you want.

also check the CV axles
it already has the new calipers come to find out. and stillen are roters?

#7 ·
Yep, stillens are rotors.

That sucks man, I had a similar close encounter, except it almost took off my head. I had jacked the Jeep up off the jack stands to reposition them. I slid one jack stand out of the way to reposition another. Luckily, I inadverntantly moved that jack stand to under the drivers side LCA mount. The floor jack shot out from it's holding position and dropped the WJ. The pass side was still on one of the jack stands. The drivers side luckily fell on the other jack that I repositioned. It came about 3 inches away from cutting my head off. Needless to say, I was done for the day...

#9 ·
It isn't the shield behind he rotor, is it? my '97 sounded like the brakes were dragging, especially when turn left. finally had local mech. look at it and he found the shield (lack of better word) behind the rotor was rubbing on the rotor. took a screwdriver and pried it out a quarter of an inch and all is well. i think driving thru snow drifts bent it in.

#12 ·
MuddyLuxury said:
In the fall my right side caliper cut the extension cord
Glad this didnt read "In the fall my right side caliper cut (insert any body part here)!!!! Hope damage to the fender is limited!! and those guys are right its prob the dust shield!!

#15 ·
Reminds me of the time Arlo tried to kill me with his Jeep, installing his front adjustable trackbar:laugh:

Glad you didn't get hurt, that could have been nasty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.