cam bolt q - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cam bolt q

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Darman
1995 ZJ 

cam bolt q

if i have adj lower control arms on a 95 Zj do i need the cam bolts? i read a thread on here that said if you have adj lowers you dont need the cam bolt or cam washer, a normal grade 8 bolt and washer will do.can anyone verify? thanks

Darman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

i never had a cam bolt on my 93, just a big *** nut and bolt. what lift are you installing?
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You don't need the cam bolt but its alot easier to tweak the caster angle if you have one. Chances are, an alignment shop will charge you alot more if they have to start screwing around adjusting control arms.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
ajmorell

No you don't. If you understand how to adjust them, and you can get an alignment shop to tell you what your caster angle is you can adjust the upper or lower CA's appropriately to get it where you need it.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

also,your pinion angle should determine your caster after you lift it, if you take it to get it aligned they may try to set you to factory specs which are bad for your pinion bearings after your driveline angles change from being lifted
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
ajmorell

There needs to be some compromise between pinion angle and caster. If you set it only for optimal pinion angle you will likely end up with caster numbers way out of spec and your jeep will wander all over the road. If you set it for optimal caster you're going to get vibes like crazy from the front driveshaft. You'll probably have to split the difference. If you can maintain caster around 5* you should be golden.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Darman
1995 ZJ 

i destroyed the passenger side bolt getting it off, but i still have the cam washer. will this work? cam washer on one side with a normal washer on the other and a gr 8 bolt?
i have the cam bolt and washer installed on the drivers side with my new lower control arm and aligned it like it was before.

this stuff is way above my head.. never tried to figure it out.
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You don't need to have an alignment shop measure the caster angle. It can easily be done with an angle finder. Either way, unless you get lucky its something of a trial and error process when dealing with adjustable control arms. . . measure, unbolt, adjust, bolt back together, measure again, repeat. If you are within a few degrees to start with then its much simpler to tweak with the cam bolts.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Darman
1995 ZJ 

so im trying to understand exactly how you would set the camber or how it works in a car. so lets say to get positive camber(which you want?) your essentially rotating the axle more towards the front of the car(counter clockwise if looking at driver wheel) so that the upper ball joint is forward of the rear ball joint and the steering pivot is more forward?
or am i way off base?
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You mean caster not camber. You can't adjust camber on a solid axle (except for special ball joints which are stupid).

Generally speaking you want positive caster which means the line passing from the lower to upper ball joint points to the rear of the vehicle. Factory spec is about 7* positive. I find that 4* works pretty good. Keep in mind that the larger the caster angle the more likely you will get death wobble.
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Darman
1995 ZJ 

yes your right. i mean caster not camber. but is taht essentially what your doing with the cam bolts, just on a much smaller scale?
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ok so just to confuse everyone and myself. this whole time i ment eccentric cam bolt. are they the same thing?

QUOTE=speedbucket;12066892]also,your pinion angle should determine your caster after you lift it, if you take it to get it aligned they may try to set you to factory specs which are bad for your pinion bearings after your driveline angles change from being lifted[/QUOTE]
My pinion angle is insane. Its probably a good 20 degress up. i used the measurements for my adj control arms that the instructions have and now my pinion yoke is pointed at my cross member pretty much
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

FRONT

REAR
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Darman
1995 ZJ 

haha ok that helps alot! my front looks like that. is it the same weather its the cv style or u joint connection axle side?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.