Calling all 5.9 owners. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Calling all 5.9 owners.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
BUNKER

Calling all 5.9 owners.

I have a question about putting some new, most likely larger tires on my 5.9 and I'm in a bit of a dilema . If I put some bigger tires on my jeep, how much will this affect the awesome power of the 5.9 that I bought it for in the first place? I love the power of this vehicle but I just don't like the look of these stock tires on it. I'm not looking to put a lift kit or huge meats on it, just some slightly larger tires most likely bf goodrich all terrains. Also, what size can I go to just out of curiosity without having to lift it? Any help/pics/links would be greatly appreciated. Or just pics of your 5.9's in general just cuz they rock! Anyone of u guys that own this jeep know how nice it is to drive but I'm sure some of you have run into this situation before so please help a fellow 5.9er out. Thanks in advance guys/girls.

BUNKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

2 things to consider... tire size will effect your gear ratio, and the tire weight will effect your accel just as much as the tire size, just becareful some at's are extremely heavy tires

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
CaliforniaJeep

My 30x9.5 BF Goodrich's on stock 15x7 wheels weight at 87lbs each

-Johnny-
Unread 03-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJeep
My 30x9.5 BF Goodrich's on stock 15x7 wheels weight at 87lbs each

-Johnny-

What was the weight of the original set-up? However i believe if i remember correctly the rule of thumb is 5.lbs added to a wheel is equivalent to 150.lbs on board, so lets say if you increased the weight on each wheel by 5.lbs it would be like adding 4 150.lb passengers to your ride everywhere you went.

Dunlops a/t version are heavy tires, i remember looking at them and thinking of giving them a try until my buddy rolled it over to me and i picked it up and thought i would need titanium wheels to offset the weight of those bricks...not to mention i didn't want to know what a titanium wheel costs

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNKER
I have a question about putting some new, most likely larger tires on my 5.9 and I'm in a bit of a dilema . If I put some bigger tires on my jeep, how much will this affect the awesome power of the 5.9 that I bought it for in the first place? I love the power of this vehicle but I just don't like the look of these stock tires on it. I'm not looking to put a lift kit or huge meats on it, just some slightly larger tires most likely bf goodrich all terrains. Also, what size can I go to just out of curiosity without having to lift it? Any help/pics/links would be greatly appreciated. Or just pics of your 5.9's in general just cuz they rock! Anyone of u guys that own this jeep know how nice it is to drive but I'm sure some of you have run into this situation before so please help a fellow 5.9er out. Thanks in advance guys/girls.

Hello fellow Niner! I faced the same dillema about a year ago when i purchased new shoes for mahnizzle'
I ended up opting for the BFG AT/KO 245-70-16. I absolutley LOVE the look and man does it make the 5.9 even more of a friggin Bear off the beatin' trai! As far as performance, I ran a 15.0 completly stock. I added the mods in my sig and ran a 14.6, with stock Goodyears. With the new setup, I am running a 15.2, so yes they will effect performance.

If you are counting 10th's of seconds, dont gettum' but if you want a nice friggin tire that looks real friggin good, then gettum! I would be more than happy to send you a pic tomorrow when it is light out. I can use my camera phone. I don't have the time nor patience to post pics on here (i have tried a million times with no success!) gimme your email address and i will send them asap.

My buddy is running the same exact setup on his slate niner and he likes it too. If I recall correctly, the Stock rim and tire combo weighs 56lbs and the BFG's bring it up to around 67lbs. The stock tires do make the 5.9 handle a little more nimbly. If you are worried about performance, maybe 235-70-16 instead of the 245 would work better.
Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

You can easily make up the performance lost by installing larger tires by adding headers, exhaust, and gears.

Hunter

PS. You don't want to even think about weighing the 33s on the steelies!

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I wouldn't even think of adding a larger tire with steel wheels

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 03-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
siderail88

I am new to this forum, and also have 1998 5.9. I am looking at adding a 2"BB and going to a larger tire and different wheel. I would like to see some pics of modified 5.9 models to give me some ideas. I wanted to go with a black steel wheel and 30x9.5 tires, but this sounds like it would be a bad idea.
siderail88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Yeah adding any unsprung weight is a bad idea and worse for performance in all area's not just acceleration, but braking, and mpg also

]=Supershafts=[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.