Calipers Will Not Fit Over New Rotors - 1999 WJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Calipers Will Not Fit Over New Rotors - 1999 WJ

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
northpaw
1999 WJ 

I hope you are using a C-clamp as they said above, otherwise its not easy to press them back. But as I said, your caliper might be in need of renovation or change, since when the pistons get stuck, they will only get worse. Have you looked at the gasket around the pistons? Is it like charcoal, then your caliper have gotten warm cause the pistons have get stuck and the brakes has been on for quite a while and giving you warped rotors.

4 Hella 320, 4 Boch Big Knick, JULA Roof rack, 245/75/16 General Grabber AT2, IRO 4 inch Lift kit
northpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Turbonut

Undo the bleeder when compressing the piston(s) makes life easier and no need to bleed the brakes.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

I just unbolt the entire assembly, disconnect the line, close it off so it doesn't bleed brake fluid evreywhere, and put it in a vise.

Compresses it perfectly, and gives me time to flush all the fluid from inside the caliper. Refill with clean fluid, reattach, and rebleed. The entire process takes about 10 minutes for me now.

Before, compressing the pisons took half a freaking day.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #19
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would never undo the bleeder and never undo the line unless I'm taking the caliper off.

JUST OPEN the cap on the reservoir and slowly press the pistons back with a clamp! You should use a shim to make the clamp cover the surface of the piston to give even pressure. I use my woodworking clamps because they are wide and give slow even pressure when I compress them with the hand lever.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.