Calipers Will Not Fit Over New Rotors - 1999 WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Calipers Will Not Fit Over New Rotors - 1999 WJ

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
netmaxweb

Calipers Will Not Fit Over New Rotors - 1999 WJ

I'm trying to fix the warped rotors which have developed in my 1999 GC.

It still has the original Teves calipers which have long since been declared defective (and replaced by the Akebono of course). Anyway, after putting on new PBR rotors, which are about 1mm thicker than my old rotors, I am finding that the calipers will not fit over them. I have depressed the caliper pistons completely using clamps and channel lock pliers but still not enough clearance to fit.

Questions. Is there any way to adjust the clearance between the pads? Or are there different thicknesses of pads? Or is my new PBR rotor designed for use with the newer Akebono calipers only?

Personally I do not want to upgrade my brakes to the Akebonos at this time since the Teves have been working fine. So I'm looking for a solution which would allow the continued use of my Teves with my new PBR rotors.

Best Regards

netmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

i would check with the parts store to make sure they gave you the right parts
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Turbonut

You'll find that the rotors are the same for all WJ models, regardless of teh caliper style. Don't have the OE thivkness of the rotor for you to check, but worst case scenario, remove 1mm from the pad material.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
99avant

Check to be sure you have the right parts. As said above, the rotors are the same.

I have stuck with the teves and have not regretted it.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes its the same rotor just different calipers.
Some info from wjjeeps

Front brakes

Rotor outside diameter: 305mm
Rotor thickness: 26mm, vented
Rotor weight: 16.5 lbs.
Caliper: Teves FN T48 / Akebono
Lining/Mu: BBA2014TA/0.32
Brake fluid: P/N 04318080AB (DOT 3 / MS-4574)

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Front brake rotors
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
northpaw
1999 WJ 

1mm should not matter, if you pushed the caliper piston all the way back you should have like 5-10mm free play.

4 Hella 320, 4 Boch Big Knick, JULA Roof rack, 245/75/16 General Grabber AT2, IRO 4 inch Lift kit
northpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by northpaw View Post
1mm should not matter, if you pushed the caliper piston all the way back you should have like 5-10mm free play.
He's stating that the pistons are pushed in as far as they will go and the pads still won't fit over the rotor.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

if you do take them back .... and are the correct ones... have the parts guy mic them ... compare them to another set.... they may have not been made right....
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
northpaw
1999 WJ 

1mm thicker disc still shouldnt be the problem.

4 Hella 320, 4 Boch Big Knick, JULA Roof rack, 245/75/16 General Grabber AT2, IRO 4 inch Lift kit
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
netmaxweb

Honestly I think the rotors are the right ones. In this case my Teves calipers are so defective that the pistons are not fully uncompressing. I can't even get them to uncompress fully even with tools like channel lock pliers and pry bars.

The pads on these Teves were not fully releasing from the rotors in the first place and that is probably what has caused the warping due to heat and friction.

Does anyone know a way to release any pressure from the brake system so I can uncompress the pistons? I am definitely not getting 5-10 mm of clearance to work with at the present.
netmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
northpaw
1999 WJ 

in that case I would get new calipers, I got new ones on my fron axle, since if the pistons already does not go all the way, you will end up destroying a new set of rotors, since the pistons will get worse, until they lock the brake completely as they did on mine

Unread 08-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmaxweb View Post
Does anyone know a way to release any pressure from the brake system so I can uncompress the pistons? I am definitely not getting 5-10 mm of clearance to work with at the present.
Are you compressing the piston while the master cylinder cover is on or off? I always do it with the cover removed, but you gotta keep an eye on the fluid and make sure it's not overflowing the master cylinder.
Unread 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Whenever I have done the brakes on my WJs, I always had to struggle a little to pull the calipers off and put them back on, but I was able to get it done. When you pushed the pistons back, were you able to try putting the caliper on the rotor before releasing the pressure you used to push them back? To me it seemed that the pistons moved forward slightly after releasing the pressure.
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

Whenver I do my brakes I use a big c-clamp to compress the caliper pistons. The WJ is the first vehicle I've ever done with more than one piston in the caliper and I noticed on the first one that when I compressed one piston, the other would push back out. I kept alternating between the two until they were both compressed all the way in. For the other side, I just used the old pad to compress them both at the same time.
"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
Sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

This may be a bit overly simple but it does make a difference. Did you pull the cap off the break fluid reservoir??? If not you will NOT be able to compress the pistons to enough to put the caliper back on. (With pads anyway.)
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.