In cab Computer Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > In cab Computer Problem

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
NewHorizon

In cab Computer Problem

Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo. The computer display that is Bottom Center of the dash that displays Time,Day,Date, Service Time,etc. is on the fritz!

For a little while I would have to reset it about once a week first thing in the morning when I started it up. It would be blinking as if it had lost power. Then a few days ago upon starting up I noticed it had just small squares lit up in two or three rows and would not display anything other than these rows of lights. Now it is just blank, it does blink every once in a while but not often.

Is there a way to reeboot this thing? More importantly, will this harm anything else in the electrical system. If not I don't reaaly mind it being out.

Thanks.

NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Bandit84
2004 WJ 

On my 94 I'd have to unplug the harness and it was fine for a few months then is have to do it again and so on. Could have been a bad unit on mine. The solder they used wasn't the greatest. You can pull it apart and remelt the connections.
96' ZJ Limited 5.9 mods 242 T-case
Bandit84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Lots of people either re-solder the connections in them or replace with a cubby that was standard on 2WD ZJ's. Mine has been dead for a while. I took it apart and there were obvious burnt areas on the board so I'm not able to fix. Personally I think the cubby would be nice for extra storage, it's just not that high on my to do list yet.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Many guys take the VIC (the part you are reffering to) out. Just a few screws, wire harness, and your done. I took mine apart and turned its basket into a cubby for my iPod. You can also buy a cubby that was in a 2WD grand cherokee.
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
NewHorizon

Thanks. I appreciate the responces. I gather by being able to take it out that it is not affecting the rest of the electrical system.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizon View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the responces. I gather by being able to take it out that it is not affecting the rest of the electrical system.
A warning would pop up saying "missing vic" but since it's not there you'll never see it...
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.