A/C Water Leak - Through Frame Rail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Water Leak - Through Frame Rail

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

A/C Water Leak - Through Frame Rail

So as I've said in a previous post, I've been reading here for a couple years but had no problems persistent or annoying enough to make a username, but as the temperatures are rising here I started to use the A/C. And it blows nice cold air, I have no complaints about that. However, the (what I'm assuming) is condensation on some component of the A/C system drains (for lack of a correct work) right through the frame rail and onto the ground. While this isn't a huge problem I don't exactly want the frame rail to constantly be sitting in wetness and also don't know if this is a sign that it will soon start leaking into the passenger floorboard, which it hasn't yet. Anyone have any comments on my problems?

Please excuse the crappy pictures, they were taken with my cheap cell phone in the parking lot of a Giant, where I discovered the water leak. And yes it is water, not coolant, its clear and doesn't smell like coolant.

0522131501-00.jpg   0522131502-00.jpg  
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

That's where is designed to flow on some models...into the frame.
Genius, huh ?

Yours might be clogged inside with leaves and stuff, though. I do know my 97 empties into the frame right in front of the firewall by design. Freaking brilliant.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
a70eliminator

Yep that's where it drains, your good. If it wasn't draining there it would more than likely be on the your passenger compartment soaking into the carpet and pad. I have no clue as to why it's engineered to rot out the frame.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

And when the system builds up enough condensation, it drips from other places as well. But yes, that's normal.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
That's where is designed to flow on some models...into the frame.
Genius, huh ?

Yours might be clogged inside with leaves and stuff, though. I do know my 97 empties into the frame right in front of the firewall by design. Freaking brilliant.
Unbelievable. Idiotic really. You say that it "empties", does that imply there is a hose designed specifically to route condensation away from a component, but then the hose just stops and lets the water drip through the frame rail? So then therefore I could attach another length of hose to the end of the previously installed one and route its outlet where I want right?
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

No hose. Just a small protrusion on the bottom of the HVAC box that barely goes through a grommet or some kind of seal in the floorboard.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Problem is that where the protrusion comes out it is sorta boxed in. The water flows through small slit areas for lack of a better description into the rail. You can cut a 1.5 inch hole in the rail and attach a piece of hose to make it exit at the front of the jeep but its still wetting the rail. Was on my project list to see if I could come up with a better way and still is, but it will take some design. I was thinking along the lines of making a small resevoir with a 12v pump along the lines of a washer pump but tougher. Then you have to come up with a way to activate it, with a float switch or moisture sensitive switch. Then you could pump it wherever you wanted it to go.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Ok Coralman, makes sense but I'm having trouble picturing it. Got any pictures by any chance?
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Then you could pump it wherever you wanted it to go.
You could pump it back to the still in the cargo bay that is powered by the exhaust.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
ghiotom
1996 ZJ 

ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Hey,I said it was still in the design phase Zee! Rold here are some links.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac-...pet-fix-24246/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...l#post11909371

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

after reading threads like this, i decided to address the problem before it became a real problem. allowing the drain to discharge in the frame rail, thats pretty brilliant....

anyway, i bought the jeep in october last year after it had been sitting for about 5 years. the ac did not work and likely hadnt been used in YEARS. fixed it up last week with some new o-rings and a fresh recharge and it works GREAT! fortunately, the ac drain was not clogged and draining very well. i used a hole saw to drill a hole in the body in the fender well to access the drain tube. then using a piece of old preformed heater hose i had at the shop, it now drains outside the body and into the fender without the possibility of dribbling back on the foam seal and wetting my floor/carpet.

cant believe how much water the jeep puts out. my duramax will drop a lot of water, but the jeep is a darn water fall in comparison!
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

This is AWESOME ElCaminoMan!!!! Can you take some measurements from other points in the wheelwell so I can find the right location to drill? I'm not all that keen about just randomly drilling and hoping I hit the right spot.
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

ill see about getting some general measurements when i get home tonight if i can remember (sorry, im easily distracted, lol). i actually just did a google search and using some of the pics as reference, managed to figure out pretty much where it is. some people have cut some big square holes and its rather obvious where the drain is then and i just kinda compared seam welds, curve of body form and where the little rubber holder was on the brake/abs lines. i used a 1 1/4" hole saw and did get pretty lucky that it was damn near perfect.
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Agreed this is a great idea wish I had thought of it myself
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.