A/C Vents don't have the same airflow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Vents don't have the same airflow

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

A/C Vents don't have the same airflow

When I turn the A/C on high, it blows a lot of air out of the middle two vents on the dash but the other three vents on the side dont even get half of the airflow that the middle two have. Is there anyway that I can make it a little more even? I just want the vents on the side to blow more air.

Unread 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Anyone have this problem?
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
s0l0ithz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i do but no solution
s0l0ithz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Turbonut

Check the fault codes:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

There arn't any fualt codes showing up. Everything is working, I just want it to work better! The side vents barely get any air flow.... Thanks though!
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Like anything in nature, air will take the path of least resistance.
The center vents are closest to the fan.
They will always get the bulk of the flow.
Always been like that, always will be.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Yeah, that was honestly my fear. I was hoping I wouldnt have to get into the vents and find a way to redirect the airflow. Thank you!
Unread 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
patrick02wj
2002 WJ 

yea i got this problem too. and my passenger side blows outside temp air, even in the winter.
Unread 07-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
rw1978

See this thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/99-wj-c-vent-issues-798480/
rw1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw1978 View Post
Well...here goes.

This winter, I cut into the heater box under the passenger dash to inspect the blend doors. Broken, of course. I saved my $100 and just jammed the doors into the 'hot' position. When the weather got warmer, I removed my 'jam' and allowed the doors to fall into the 'cool' position.

If you've done this same procedure, you're aware that there is a part of the heater box that divides driver and passenger side airflow right between the blend doors. I realized that when I removed that piece of plastic, I was allowing the air (the fluid that it is) to follow the path of least resistance - i.e. - the driver side middle vent.

Sooo...I opened up the heater box one more time and re-installed the piece of plastic (I knew I kept it around for a reason!). Now better airflow is all-around!

Tada!!!
So pretty much what you are saying is you installed a plastic piece in the air ducts that changes the flow and makes the air go out of the other vents? Can you still change from hot to cold? And is yours the dual climate type?
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdharri7 View Post
So pretty much what you are saying is you installed a plastic piece in the air ducts that changes the flow and makes the air go out of the other vents? Can you still change from hot to cold? And is yours the dual climate type?
he put the plastic back that was removed. perhaps yours was removed at some point in the past.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
rw1978

What Rat said. I can still control air temp, but not from side-to-side anymore. Yes, it still is the dualzone system, but it does not function that way anymore.
rw1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
jdharri7
2002 WJ 

Ok! That helps a lot, I will look at that. Thanks so much!
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
melloyello
1995 ZJ 

If you can funnel down the air(create an orifice) on each side you will create more velocity. It's physics.
melloyello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.