A/C Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
kentever
2000 WJ 

A/C Question

Ok last year my ac in my 2000 GC Limited worked perfect now this year alot of times when I stop at a red light for more than just a few seconds the compressor shuts off and I either have to raise the rpms or turn the ac off and back on to get it to kick back on. It idles at about 750. My first thought was a little low of freon. I put a guage on it and it reads perfect but actually a little high when at idle. My question is can refridgerant expand over time? I know I didnt add any and I know it didnt do this last year. Might try just leaking a little out and see what it does but it blows very cold when driving. Any thoughts?

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Might be time to have the system sucked down, replace the expansion valve, and fill it up with new freon and oil. It's a good idea to do this every once in a while. The expansion valve not opening fully is a common cause of the increase in pressure.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
kentever
2000 WJ 

Am I right in thinking when at idle and the pressure goes up thats shuts off the compressor? Also can I do anything short of replacing the valve and refilling? Thanx by the way
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
kentever
2000 WJ 

Well did a little more checking and found that my electric radiator fan is not comming on with the a/c I have noticed a little higher engine temps but nothing major. I checked and its getting voltage when the ac is on but fan doesnt turn even connected directly to battery. I know I saw a how to on replacing the eletric fan but I cant find it. Got any tips?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.