A/C Question..?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Question..?!?!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
JayRay08
1996 ZJ 

A/C Question..?!?!

Hi all, I have a 96 jeep grand 5.2 I just evacuated and recharged my a/c yesterday and after a can and a half the pressure gague was reading high. the car would also cycle every minute or so like it was getting bogged down and wanting to stall (which is my main problem). The A/c is blowing cold inside. could pressure switches cause this problem if they need to be replaced or is my compressor shot? could it be a prob with my alternator since i heard A/C systems draw a lot more power when the A/c is on. the accumulator and liquid line with orafice tube was replaced last year aswell. any tips would be great. thanks

JayRay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

tucson is hot as balls (look at my name, trust me I know) and the 5.2's will overheat that engine in no time with the a/c on. does it do it while your driving or just while your in idle?

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
JayRay08
1996 ZJ 

Tucson is hot as hell, i recently had an overheating issue with the AC is on but i got a whole new cooling system and i dont have an overheating issue anymore. now it seems that when the AC is on it will bog down every minute or two like its going to stall. it seems to do it at idle. when i have my foot on the gas it runs like it should. since i recharged it with less then the recomended amount of freon and the gague reads high with this bog issue, could it be my compressor or something else?
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

What are the pressure readings on the gauges?
Also do you have an electric fan or clutch fan?
Have checked for a dirty iac valve? I have had a similar problem where the engine bogged down. Cleaned it and it purrs like kitten.
When the AC turns on the idle drops for a split and comes back up.
As for engine overheating, I never had an issue.
If the AC is blowing cold your compressor is good.
If you have a 90 amp alternator then its a problem 136 amp will do fine. I have a 150 amp in my truck.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
JayRay08
1996 ZJ 

pressure is somewhere between 80 and 90, my fan is a clutch fan, my IAC is brand new. so if the AC is cold then the compressor is good?! thats good news... it is a 90 amp alternator =(
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRay08 View Post
pressure is somewhere between 80 and 90, my fan is a clutch fan, my IAC is brand new. so if the AC is cold then the compressor is good?! thats good news... it is a 90 amp alternator =(
search for the alt swap. I think it's a dodge durango alternator that can be spliced and then mounted in for higher amperage.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
a70eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRay08 View Post
80-90psi relates to a 75-81 degree evaporator temp. If ambient air temp is 100 degrees then yea 80 degrees could feel cool but you should have a 45 degree evaporator which is about 40 psi on the low side.
As for the bog issue, yea the idle picks up RPM when the a/c clutch energizes because it does put a strain on the engine, they say it takes 4hp to tun A/C compressor, maybe you need an engine tune up. The alternator powers the fan thats the only real current draw, the clutch solenoid draws hardly nothing.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.