A/C Pulley squeak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Pulley squeak?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
hinningerc
1996 ZJ 

A/C Pulley squeak?

I have a 96 5.2l ZJ and every morning when I start it up, I get a squeak from one of the pulleys. After driving for about 5 minutes, the squeak will stop on its own. I've also noticed that if I turn on the A/C when it is squeaking, the noise goes away.

The A/C works fine, and it's not making that loud squeal noise, just a small squeak every time the belt goes around. Since noticing the noise, I've replaced the idler pulley and replaced the water pump due to another issue.

The belt looks almost brand new, (I've owned the vehicle for about 11 months and it has 202k miles) so I haven't replaced it yet. I've searched some of the other threads about the A/C Compressor, and that I'd be better off buying a new unit instead of the pulley/clutch.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

hinningerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
gmiller5m

I have the exact same issue and just ordered the AC clutch kit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gabriel
gmiller5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
hinningerc
1996 ZJ 

yes please do post if it helped or not.
hinningerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
swelms
1995 ZJ 

Mine does that as well but just the opposite, if i turn a/c off it quits squealing. Mine is a 95 model tho. It started after I had a pulley go bad and i put a new pulley as well as a new belt on. Was thinking I didn't get belt tight enough. Just haven't had time to try to tighten it up to see if it fixes it. So if yours tightens up like mine, by loosening bolts on power steering pump, then you could try that and see if it helps.
swelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Kevin86me
1995 ZJ 

Mine did this then I removed it and was so suprised the differnce not haveing a tugging on my serp draining power like a fan clutch that stays on constantly. Or like a leach or a tick. I live in the 80s roll down the windows and turn up the radio. the serp only cost me 8.99 on amazon. The ac was like buying another motor.
Kevin86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Take a long screw driver or something similar and put the tip on the suspect part making the noise and the other end to your ear. You will defiantly know which part is making the noise. It will be much louder that the other parts you test. Don't get your hair caught in the pulley's.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
ZJJay

1996 ZJ 

My 4.0L had a squeak (squeal) when the A/C was on. I presumed it was the compressor clutch. I ended up replacing the two idler pulleys, which has resolved the squeal issue. Although one of the factory pulleys was smaller than the other, I used Gates P/N 38042 for both. Works fine now.
'96 ZJ, 4.0L, 42RE, NP242, stock D30 and D35-LS w/ 3.73, 4-1/2" lift, 32" BFG ATs, Magnaflow, JKS track bars and disconnects, spare tire carrier, Optima red top, ROLA roof rack, KC SlimLite driving lights, CB and Yaesu ham radios, GPS
ZJJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , squeak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.