A/C Problems - Leak at Evaporator Core & Condensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Problems - Leak at Evaporator Core & Condensor

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
rflem550

A/C Problems - Leak at Evaporator Core & Condensor

Took my '02 GC v8 to a garage today to get the a/c looked at. Starting last summer it wouldn't cool, so I limped along refilling it with a can of refrigerant. Now that it's hot again, the refrigerant will not last but 5 minutes and it's out.

The guy at the garage says I have a leak at my evaporator core and at the condensor. He says he can't do the work because of taking out the dash.

Looks like I've got to go somewhere else.

Anyone have a ballpark of what I might be looking at cost-wise?

rflem550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Last I had had it roughly quoted was about a 600-800 dollar job at a shop....but this was also the same shop that made my A/C worse than when I brought it in...SO maybe that is not a perfect figure, but I know that It is never a cheap fix.

The Problem with the A/C is its a Rabbit chase. you could fix everything and the last thing you have to replace is the problem.

Has anything else on your A/C been worked on before?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

It'll be at least $1,000. Taking apart the dash is expensive. It's not too hard to do, just time consuming.
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
rflem550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyvang View Post
Last I had had it roughly quoted was about a 600-800 dollar job at a shop....but this was also the same shop that made my A/C worse than when I brought it in...SO maybe that is not a perfect figure, but I know that It is never a cheap fix.

The Problem with the A/C is its a Rabbit chase. you could fix everything and the last thing you have to replace is the problem.

Has anything else on your A/C been worked on before?
Nothing on my A/C has been worked on. Just me filling it with it 134a.

The guy at the garage said they could tell the leak was coming from the condensor and the evaporator core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
It'll be at least $1,000. Taking apart the dash is expensive. It's not too hard to do, just time consuming.

i've fixed several things on my jeep, but i've never removed the entire dash.

what is so time consuming about it? are there instructions anywhere online that might could help me? I'm not opposed to spending my whole weekend working on it if it will prevent me from having to pay $1000.
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I took mine to a local dealer with a new "sniffer" device and they told me it was going to be $1,500. The evaporator, condenser all needed to be replaced. What are the odds of both needing to be replaced. I decided to drive a little farther to a friend who works on Jeeps and he said it was just the evaporator in the dash that needed to be replaced. It is an all day job for someone who is experienced at it. I think it cost me $700 for a new evaporator and labor. This is a good one to rob you of money. I think my first dealer was looking to pay off their new freon sniffer device. :-) A shot of red dye and looking in the right places solved the problem.
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
allenjp
2002 WJ 

It's kind of weird to hear them say "evaporator & condenser" seeing as how one is under the dash and the other is attached to the radiator...if you have an evap core leak, do a search here and you'll find lots of help on how to do it yourself. I did mine, it wasn't that hard just takes a while and you have to take your time. But don't put anymore freon in it until you fix it because if it's the evap core it's leaking freon into the cab and that stuff is dangerous....

1996 ZJ 318 Laredo Quadra Trac -SOLD (I'm gonna miss her!)

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited Quadra Drive (sharing it with wifey for now...)
allenjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
cwblky

I took mine to pep boys and they told me 800 to fix it. Yea right!! I brought mine home and did it myself, but i do see why they charge so much. That dash removal deal isnt no joke. Just finished tonight total cost $90. Also a good way to tell if your evaporator is bad, you said yours leaked out in 5 min, so did mine and there was a god awful smell that came from the vents. When i got the evaporator out there was about a half pound of mold and mildew built up in the bottom of the housing. So if it stinks, EVAP
cwblky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
rflem550

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenjp View Post
It's kind of weird to hear them say "evaporator & condenser" seeing as how one is under the dash and the other is attached to the radiator...if you have an evap core leak, do a search here and you'll find lots of help on how to do it yourself. I did mine, it wasn't that hard just takes a while and you have to take your time. But don't put anymore freon in it until you fix it because if it's the evap core it's leaking freon into the cab and that stuff is dangerous....
Isn't it possible that I have a leak in both places???

What's weird is that after they charged it with freon to test it, it has held for a week. It's working okay. There is obviously something noticeably running under my hood now that wasn't in the past. I can slightly hear and it feel it running when my foot is on the pedals. It's a light humming sound and slight vibrating feel. What the hell could that be?

I have decided to try to tackle the evaporator core this weekend. I already have the replacement part. Two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what tools I will need other than a Phillips screwdriver?

2) While I have the dash off, what else should I replace? heater core???
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
It's a light humming sound and slight vibrating feel. What the hell could that be?
If it's only making the noise and vibration while the compressor cluch is engaged, it's likely your compressor is on the way out. With the leak that you've got, you've been losing not only the R134a, but the compressor oil too. It won't run long like that.
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
allenjp
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflem550 View Post
Isn't it possible that I have a leak in both places???

What's weird is that after they charged it with freon to test it, it has held for a week. It's working okay. There is obviously something noticeably running under my hood now that wasn't in the past. I can slightly hear and it feel it running when my foot is on the pedals. It's a light humming sound and slight vibrating feel. What the hell could that be?

I have decided to try to tackle the evaporator core this weekend. I already have the replacement part. Two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what tools I will need other than a Phillips screwdriver?

2) While I have the dash off, what else should I replace? heater core???

It is possible to have leaks in both places, just not probable, and to hear it phrased like that Evaporator & Condenser, just sounds funny because they are on opposite ends of the engine compartment, not together like say, evap core and heater core. Heater core is a good idea to replace if you're in there already, it costs about 80 buckaroos I think, and you won't have to worry about tearing the dash out again if it starts leaking.

Uhh, yeah. About the tools...it's a good idea to have a cordless screwdriver or your forearms are going to get really tired because there are about a million screws in that dash. You will need an A/C hose disconnecting tool (available at any parts store cheap) You really should replace the accumulator as well since you're going to crack open the system. You also will have to disconnect the heater hoses in the engine compartment (I had to cut mine off because they were stuck). So that requires either a flathead screwdriver or a small socket (9mm I think). Or a hose clamp tool depending on what type of clamps are currently on the hoses. Aside from that just kinda go along and see what you need as you come to it. And feel free to ask us questions frequently as many of us here have done that job and we can help you. If you get stuck, ask...

Oh, and it's a good idea if it still has freon, to have it evacuated first, or else you may get a face full of freon when you open the lines...

1996 ZJ 318 Laredo Quadra Trac -SOLD (I'm gonna miss her!)

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited Quadra Drive (sharing it with wifey for now...)
allenjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
rflem550

thanks for the info.

i already have the spring lock tool to remove the connections going into the evaporator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.