A/C problem on '96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C problem on '96

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-16-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
MidwestCajun

A/C problem on '96

Went to use a/c for the first time this year and found it wasn't working. The light comes on, but no cold air. Checking under hood, I could see the compressor attempt to spin for a couple of seconds, then click off and continue to repeat this on and on. I am bringing the ZJ to the shop next week, but if anyone can give me a heads up on the problem it would be a great help.

2" Teraflex BB, ProComp ES3000, Parelli Scorpions
MidwestCajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2002, 05:14 AM   #2
XJin96style

Its probably the bearing inside the compresser because I had this same problem but mine still works! The bearing is going bad on it so its only a matter of time. Does your Aux fan kick on at all, when you turn on your A/C? If so then your fluid level is ok so that means your compresser is ok. if it doesnt turn on check your fluid level if it is fine then it could be your compresser.

Hope i could help, GOOD LUCK

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock
"ITS A JEEP THING, DONT TRY TO FOLLOW YOU MIGHT GET STUCK."
XJin96style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
moabster
2011 WK 

Had the same problem with my 93 ZJ. Took it to the dealer, the refrigerant was low. They added some more and put in dye to see if they could find a leak. Worked for a few weeks but started working less efficiently. The dye did not show a leak in the tubing so the dealer figured the leak was in the compressor seal (which was common for that compresor). Results... I traded the jeep in on a 2000...
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.