A/C Not getting cold enough, duty cycles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Not getting cold enough, duty cycles?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
mustangbd24

A/C Not getting cold enough, duty cycles?

i know these a/c questions are getting beat to death but it is gettting warm out... here is my issue. my ac was only getting down to about 42 deg. F after it was running for about 15 minutes on recirc. so i vac it down for about 1.5 hours and weighed the proper charge back in. it is doing a little better now, about 40 deg. f. but it takes forever for it to get there and i have to run the fan full bore the whole time. btw, my pressures were between 35-40 on the low side and around 250 on the high side. the pressures seem ok. im just wondering if i dont have another issue? perhaps the txv or the accumulator? a few more things, the outside temp was mild yesterday, about 72 deg. F. the other thing that i noticed is that the cooling/condenser fan doesnt ramp up to full speed when the ac is put on max. i was under the impression that it should. i also can stop the fan with my hand on some occasions the fan does run fast so this is confusing as to what is going on. basically what im trying to accomplish here is get my ac colder so i dont have to run the fan full bore all the time. im just afraid that when it gets into the 90's here i am going to be sweating my nads off... sorry so long and any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

mustangbd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
zvanit03ru
1997 ZJ 

Did you have this vehicle last summer? If so, was it any better? Many ZJ owners report that the AC systems in them simply aren't up to snuff when pitted against the hottest climates, like here in the steamy jungles of South Florida. I think the evaporators are too small, and prone to clogging.. I've had mine for three summers now (this is the fourth), and it has never been able to cool the entire cabin/cargo area. Just too much space.
zvanit03ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

duct tape a midget under there with a mini sledge......

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My AC didn’t seem to work to well. I have a slow leak and not looking forward to fixing it. But I tinted all my windows with a Nano-20 Tint, and that made a BIG difference, But it’s not cheap.
Max78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
mustangbd24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvanit03ru View Post
Did you have this vehicle last summer? If so, was it any better? Many ZJ owners report that the AC systems in them simply aren't up to snuff when pitted against the hottest climates, like here in the steamy jungles of South Florida. I think the evaporators are too small, and prone to clogging.. I've had mine for three summers now (this is the fourth), and it has never been able to cool the entire cabin/cargo area. Just too much space.
no i didnt have it last summer so i have nothing else to compare it to except other vehicles. i would consider anything in the mid to upper 30's a good discharge temp when the weather is in the 70's. really anoying that an 04 has worse ac than my 88' t bird! there has to be a solution to this. i wonder if the fan speed has something to do with it???
mustangbd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
zvanit03ru
1997 ZJ 

Your T-Bird used R12 Freon; the GC uses R134a refrigerant. That's part of the difference right there; the newer refrigerant, all other factors being equal, just doesn't have the chill Freon did... I noticed a big difference when I converted an older Camry to R134a. Wished I hadn't, but Freon is just too hard to come by anymore..
zvanit03ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbd24 View Post
no i didnt have it last summer so i have nothing else to compare it to except other vehicles. i would consider anything in the mid to upper 30's a good discharge temp when the weather is in the 70's. really anoying that an 04 has worse ac than my 88' t bird! there has to be a solution to this. i wonder if the fan speed has something to do with it???
How do you guys measure the discharge temperature? Do you need a special thermometer? The interior color makes a big difference. Mine is charcoal and gets hot very easily.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.