A/C Diagnosis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Diagnosis

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
900Steve

A/C Diagnosis

it's starting to get hot out and i want to have some A/C this year. for once. i'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic, but i have no experience in the A/C system.

i know mine is shot and have been told that it's empty due to a leak. any ideas in how to trace down the busted component or line?

-steve
94 ZJ, I6

900Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Steve
it's starting to get hot out and i want to have some A/C this year. for once. i'm a fairly competent DIY mechanic, but i have no experience in the A/C system.

i know mine is shot and have been told that it's empty due to a leak. any ideas in how to trace down the busted component or line?

-steve
94 ZJ, I6

hey steve, i own a '94 zj i6 and i've noticed it just don't get cold when the a/c is blasting. i've blown hoses sitting at idle before plus i've had leaks prior to the blow out. i'd reccomend having the dealer take care of it. they use a dye that shows up under black light and its no more magic! they locate the leak and usually its the pressed fittings (hose + metal flange fitting with a open end wrench nut on it). having dealt with hydraulics before these hoses are not something you twist and tweak while the systems under pressure to check. "don't rub your hand down the hose while under pressure either" the high pressure air can penetrate your skin or worse cut through it before you know it (just like hyd fluid). my zj is going in the shop on payday.

? for you.... how many miles do you have on it and have you changed out your cat converter? i've got 130k and i've noticed a loss in power and i've been reading on here that with that kind of mileage the back pressure that can come from a faulty cat is bad for the motor. plus a big loss in fuel economy!! i'm fishing for answers or someone else with common gripes that maybe can lead to a fix. my control arm bushings are bad too and need to be changed. the suspension just don't absorb the drunk bumps or reflective things on the road anymore, this is at 25mph and i have to slow down. i think my dash is going to fall into my lap!

anyone else who has input for steve or i please respond!

-scott
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree
i'd reccomend having the dealer take care of it. they use a dye that shows up under black light and its no more magic!

actually, you can buy that dye yourself...it's called a/c system trace dye (catchy, isn't it?). however, you will need the hose hookup to put it in there. bring it to any mechanic that has more than 2 teeth in his head and they can take care of it.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
actually, you can buy that dye yourself...it's called a/c system trace dye (catchy, isn't it?). however, you will need the hose hookup to put it in there. bring it to any mechanic that has more than 2 teeth in his head and they can take care of it.

On behalf of all us one-toothed mechanics, you can expect a class action suit in the near future. That is, as soon as I can figure out how to do it...

I know for a fact the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia. If it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teethbrush!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.