A/C Compressor Clutch replacement - Anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C Compressor Clutch replacement - Anyone?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
oneillsean

A/C Compressor Clutch replacement - Anyone?

My '96 GC 5.2L makes a pinging and rattling noise coming from the A/C clutch when the compressor cycles on and off. The dealer wants about $400 just for the clutch and more for other hardware they say is necessary. Pep Boys sells a refurbished compressor for $275 or a new one for $375 but I heard that they don't necessarily come with the clutch which is all I really need. Plus my A/C system has never been "unsealed" and I don't want to start now by changing out the compressor. If possible, just want to change out the clutch.

Anyone ever try it and are there any special tools required?

oneillsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
shaunmic
1998 ZJ 

here are special tools for clutch removal Check with an older mechanic. I have a set, but found in the end to get yourself a new compressor. It's a no brainer install if you need help recharging IM me and i can walk u through it (BTW, the tool for clutch removal is worth more than a new comp.)
If a new comp doesn't have a clutch don't buy it, and stay away from the rebuilds
shaunmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

(1) disconnect and isolate negative battery cable
(2) Remove the compressor shaft bolt. A band-type oil filter wrench may be used to hold pulley
(3) Tap the clutch patch with a plastic mallet to release it from the splines on the comrpessor shaft. Remove clutch plate and shims from the compressor shaft
(4) Remove the pulley retaining snap ring with snap ring pliers and slide the pulley assembly off the compressor
(5) Remove the screw and retained from the clutch coil lead wire on the compressor front housing
(6) Remove the snap ring from the compressor hub and remove the clutch field coil. Slide the clutch field coil off of of the compressor hub

Theres some info on proper shim measurements.. But no special tools needed other then snap ring pliers and a small wooden block to tap it back on.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillsean
My '96 GC 5.2L makes a pinging and rattling noise coming from the A/C clutch when the compressor cycles on and off. The dealer wants about $400 just for the clutch and more for other hardware they say is necessary. Pep Boys sells a refurbished compressor for $275 or a new one for $375 but I heard that they don't necessarily come with the clutch which is all I really need. Plus my A/C system has never been "unsealed" and I don't want to start now by changing out the compressor. If possible, just want to change out the clutch.

Anyone ever try it and are there any special tools required?
What Joe says.
If it's the clutch bearing, it alone can be replaced (check this thread):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...32#post3272932
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

replace the compressor -- mine went out too and its cheaper to replace the compressor rather than the clutch pulley assembly....
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I second that recommendation. They are like $160 on fleaBay. Mine is chirping on the ZJ right now. I expect to need one soon enough.
Unread 04-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
oneillsean

Compressor Replacement

Guess the noise wasn't from the compressor after all becuase the water pump siezed when I started the engine a few days after I wrote that post. When the pump siezed, the belt woudn't turn so it pulled the power steering pump in and broke its mounting bracket. Very similar to what SJZ described in post #10 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...32#post3272932
Dealer wanted to bend me over for $950 to replace the water pump and power steering bracket. Found a shop that did it for $225 cash. No more noise.

I may still replace the compressor anyway as the vehicle is at 225,000 miles.

Thanks all for your comments. Very helpful.
oneillsean is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.