A/C blows through the Defroster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A/C blows through the Defroster

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
idahospudjeep
1995 ZJ 

A/C blows through the Defroster

HELP! Its getting hot in Idaho and when my 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 is at just an idol it will blow correctly out of the vents but when you start to drive it and foot on the gas it blows out of the defroster. Its cold air. (no matter what setting I'm at for the flow of air). Just would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows how to fix it or what is wrong. All the help the better....feel free to even e-mail me at shannon.egusquiza@yahoo.com

All Help Is Very WELCOME!

idahospudjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Default for air circulation is out of the defroster when the main blend door isn't working correctly. Sounds like a bad actuator or vacuum leak. Look up right above the gas pedal under the dash and you will see the actuator with a piece of flat metal linkage going to the middle/underneath of the HVAC box to the main blend door. Make sure the vacuum hose isn't partially off or leaking.

Also in the engine compartment you will see a black vacuum line running across the firewall from the intake. There's a small black line which T's off which goes through the firewall which leads to your HVAC vent control switch. Also listen and look for vacuum lines here. This line also goes under the battery tray where the rubber hose can rot off causing not enough vacuum/leaks. You'll need to also listen to the dash for hissing vacuum leaks if you can't find any elsewhere. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
idahospudjeep
1995 ZJ 

We checked by the gas pedal and everything checks out there. In the engine compartment where the line goes under the battery we found that line to not be connected to anything and not rotten or any leaks at all. It just looks like it slipped off from some where and we don't have a clue where it goes. I will try to google some answers but if you know then that would be great also.

Thanks again.
your post was a big help.
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Mine does that occasionally when I accelerate. I let off the gas a little and it goes back to the vents. A Jeep tech once told me that he used to put a check valve in one of the vacuum lines to cure that issue. I've never fixed it, because it doesnt do it all the time.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahospudjeep View Post
We checked by the gas pedal and everything checks out there. In the engine compartment where the line goes under the battery we found that line to not be connected to anything and not rotten or any leaks at all. It just looks like it slipped off from some where and we don't have a clue where it goes. I will try to google some answers but if you know then that would be great also.

Thanks again.
your post was a big help.
YW. So is the vacuum line you found under the battery box just open with no plug or anything in it? If so that might be your problem. It should have a short rubber line, remove the battery tray, there's a plastic nipple on the very bottom of the tray, and plug it in. That may fix it if line is open and causing little vacuum getting to your HVAC circulation switch.
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

^ like he said, under the battery tray is a vacuum reservoir tank, its a small storage tank for vacuum pressure for when the engine is at heavy throttle (not producing vacuum). That vacuum line supplies the speed control and HVAC.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
idahospudjeep
1995 ZJ 

i found what you where talking about and connected it so i will find out if it works tomorrow thank for the advice.
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW, good luck, and hope it works.

Tags
1995 , 4.0 , a/c blower switch , defroster , switch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.